186

Peter’s Parade Moved to Feb. 25, Applications Available Week 1

The Office of the Dean of Students has announced that Peter’s Parade has been re-scheduled and will take place Monday, Feb. 25 from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The event, which will be co-sponsored by Associated Students of UC Irvine, will be part of the Year at the Student Center, kicking off the week of Homecoming 2008.
The parade was originally set to take place in October, during the Student Center Grand Re-Opening Celebration. However, due to the wildfires that blazed across several areas of Southern California during the week of Oct. 21, the Student Center Opening Committee decided to postpone the event ‘out of respect for those students who may be sensitive to changes in air quality due to local fires, in addition to [their] desire to support students, staff, faculty, alumni and community members who are personally at risk or are assisting those who are participating in recent evacuations,’ according to Sandy Winslow, director of Campus Organizations.
The application form will be available on week one of winter quarter, and is due Wednesday, Feb. 6 by 5 p.m. at the Dean of Students’ Office. For more information, contact Ken-D Tolentino, student programs assistant, at kdtolent@uci.edu.

$30 Million Given to Large Telescope Project

The Large Synoptic Survey Telescope, a proposed ground-based telescope that will provide digital imaging of faint astronomical objects across the sky every night, has received two sizable gifts: $10 million from Microsoft founder Bill Gates and $20 million from the Charles Simonyi Fund for Arts and Sciences.
The Center for Cosmology at UC Irvine is one of 23 institutions involved with the LSST project. David Kirkby, a particle physicist, is overseeing the university’s participation in the project. Other UCI participants include James Bullock, Manoj Kaplinghat, Asantha Cooray, Aaron Barth, Elizabeth Barton, David Buote and Virginia Trimble.
Upon completion of this project, the 8.4-meter, 10 square-degree-field LSST will cover the available sky every three nights, opening a movie-like window on objects that change or move. The images from the LSST will also purportedly be used to trace billions of remote galaxies and measure the distortions in their shapes caused by lumps of dark matter.

UCI Student to be Political Director of Orange County’s Democratic Party

Lindsay Hopkins, a recent graduate of UC Irvine, was selected as the new political director to the Democratic Party of Orange County, or DPOC, on Monday, Dec. 17, 2007. She received her bachelor’s degree in political science and interned for the DPOC last year.
Hopkins formerly served as deputy campaign director for the Jim Brandt for Assembly campaign in Long Beach, was a statewide coordinator for the California Public Interest Research Group’s (CALPIRG) higher education project, a volunteer coordinator for the California Party Victory 2006 and city councilwoman Katrina Foley. She also recruited, trained and managed the volunteer force that helped orchestrate the county’s most successful Democratic party events as chief of staff at the recent Truman Awards.
‘I want to play an active role in building the Democratic leadership of Orange County and building bridges between different groups with common goals,’ Hopkins told the DPOC. ‘This position gives me the unique opportunity to turn my volunteer path into a career path.’