103

Stanford Associate Athletic Director for Sports Administration and Development Mike Izzi was named by UC Irvine the new director of intercollegiate athletics. He will be responsible for the overall management of UCI’s 23 sport intercollegiate athletics program and the Bren Events Center.
UCI was left without an athletic director after Bob Chichester resigned on Aug. 1, 2006 after a five-year tenure. Chichester resigned following his father’s death, and also cited the challenge of remaining competitive in athletics with UCI’s diminishing financial resources. Paula Smith served as the interim athletic director and served during the men’s volleyball National Championship season and baseball’s College World Series run. She also played a crucial role in hiring Mike Gillespie, head coach of baseball at UCI.
‘I am thrilled that we have recruited Mike Izzi to be our new athletic director,’ said Chancellor Michael V. Drake. ‘The strengths of our campus and athletic programs are well suited to his abilities, and his experience at one of the premier academic athletics programs in the nation makes him an ideal choice to lead Anteater athletics forward. It’s a great match.’
Izzi has spent the last 16 years of his professional career at Stanford, where he served as the primary supervisor for several sports, and developed and implemented fundraising and annual giving strategies. Among his primary accomplishments were the fundraising efforts for capital projects such as the rebuilding of Stanford Stadium and a major renovation of Maples Pavilion.
‘I am privileged and honored to be named the new athletic director at UC Irvine and very excited about becoming part of the Irvine family,’ Izzi said. ‘I am very impressed by UC Irvine’s support for its student-athletes