Omar bin Laden to Bush: Can’t We All Just Get Along?

163
163

Things are not looking good for the rebels in their epic battle against the evil empire. Desperate to end his fight for all that is good, Luke Skywalker tries to talk some sense into Darth Vader, whom he happened to learn one “Star Wars” film ago is his father. “There is good in him. … I can save him. I can turn him back to the good side. I have to try,” said Skywalker.

When I first saw Omar bin Laden’s apology on behalf of his father Osama, I couldn’t help but wonder if Omar had just finished watching that famous scene from “Return of the Jedi.” It’s still January, but the four-minute video may be one of the most bizarre things I have seen all year.

Omar began his interview with ABC News by saying in broken English: “My father is a very kind man. And he very sorry when he do something like 11 September … He believed if he put this two building down, maybe some people, little, will die, but millions other will [be] safe.”

Omar’s explanation of Osama’s motivation for the 9/11 attacks sounds uncomfortably similar to America’s justification for the civilian casualties in Middle Eastern conflicts. Just as many Americans question the logic of our administration taking life in order to save life.

Ultimately, Omar didn’t believe his father’s logic and left al-Qaeda in 2000 with Osama’s permission. Omar is not willing to consider his father a terrorist, but when asked if he condemns what Osama did, he quickly responded, “Yes. I believe he did it wrong.”

Omar believes that President George W. Bush should meet with Osama, and correspondent Nick Watt