R.I.P. 2007 Green Bay Packers: Memoirs of a Die-Hard Fan

156
156

I sit here on my computer right after Lawrence Tynes drills a 47-yard field during overtime into the heart of Green Bay Packers’ fans worldwide. Never have I felt more depressed after a sporting event in my life.
I have followed the Trojans since the days when they lost to UCLA for eight consecutive years in football. I built a strong bond with that team. Yet, I was over the Rose Bowl loss to Texas in five minutes. I have been a Lakers fan all my life. When the Lakers failed to get past San Antonio on their quest for a fourth national championship, I was in disbelief, but it was too surreal to register or accept.
Never have I been more attached to a sports team as I was on Sunday, Jan. 20, during the Green Bay-New York NFC title game.
Brett Favre has been my favorite player since my first time watching an NFL game, the 1997 Packers victory over the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl. I was more into college football, but always kept an eye on Favre and the Packers. In recent years, the Packers have been mostly unsuccessful. However, this year they did things differently.
Favre, 38 years old, returned despite the critics’ insistence that he was too old for the game. He has been known for his risky, bold play. I didn’t care, I loved him. I have his green number-four jersey, a large ‘Brett Favre: Legend’ poster on top of my bed, and multiple books about him. This was the first year I truly followed the NFL, and it conveniently turned out to be the year the Packers turned things around.
Week by week, Favre proved the critics wrong and even re-wrote the record books. He was having the best year of his career