I.D. Rakes it in and Gets Rake in Face

228
228

Every so often, a group will try to promote its cause and give itself the proverbial rake in the face. The pointy end of the rake came up when the makers of ‘Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed’ started bribing fundamentalist schools to organize mandatory field trips forcing students to watch the film. Bribery? Great publicity move! That garners about as much credibility as a Republican politician in a bathroom stall.
‘Expelled’ is a controversial documentary-parentheses-propaganda film promoting intelligent design and slated for big-screen release in April. Intelligent design is the belief that an intelligent being created the universe. This belief is promoted mainly by the Discovery Institute, not to be confused with the Discovery Channel, Superior-Intelligent-Creator-Being forbid. The Institute argues that intelligent design is a scientific view and should therefore be taught in schools. Fortunately, the judge in Kitzmiller vs. Dover Area School District thought otherwise.
Gosh, this intelligent design thing is starting to sound an awful lot like, oh, I don’t know, creationism. Creationism is the belief that God is the best explanation for the miracle of life. If you’ve seen the guys toting signs listing about three dozen reasons why we’re all going to Hell, including not being Christian and being ‘slothful sports watchers,’ then you’ve seen creationists.
So intelligent design and creationism sound just a bit similar, don’t they? While upholders of intelligent design claim that the two views are separate, intelligent design is continuously criticized for being suspiciously similar to creationism and having very little credibility within the scientific community. The fact that countless creationist organizations support intelligent design does nothing to help their argument.
‘Expelled’s’ host, Ben Stein, explores the alleged suppression of intelligent design in schools and scientific laboratories. The film blames the theory of evolution for a wide array of ‘problems,’ from communism to Planned Parenthood. Apparently, sex education, STD-prevention and pregnancy protection are evils concocted by some of the brightest minds to grace this earth.
As for publicity, the filmmakers are apparently relying on bribery to promote their propaganda. Gotta spend money to make money, right? Schools will be ‘paid’ according to the number of ticket stubs they collect. You’d think that a creationist propaganda movie would have other publicity options at Christian fundamentalist schools. But apparently, nothing is a sin when you’re doing the work of God. Bribery, brainwashing, crusading