152

For one night the Bren Events Center was home to a colorful crowd of individuals. Each person brought in a new form and character; an image different from what we’re used to seeing mulling around campus. The venue is typically an area with space paved through stadium seating for our celebrated and varied sports teams to show their stuff. That night it was littered with mohawks, scruffy beards and unisex tight jeans, clear celebrators of the music the audience would hear that night.
It is definitely a noticeable event when UC Irvine hosts a band with as much clout in the music industry as The Mars Volta has. Echoes of their last huge show in California rang through the crowd.
There was a delay in the grand entrance of the band and mixing mastermind Wes the Mes kept the hungry Volta wolf-fan hybrids at bay. Wes the Mes is looking into going to Europe with the band during their upcoming tour dates. You might even find his remix styles on the band’s new release.
The floor of the Bren began to fill with an amalgam of characters and while it might have been shadows and light tricks covering the inside of the venue, it looked as though something the likes of Kat Von D showed up to rock out. It seemed telltale signs of a great night were everywhere.
The stage was still but characteristically wild, home to an unusual variety of instruments. Electronic towers bearing the tri-colored Mexican flag gleamed under stage lighting. The crowd was brought to attention and the huddle at the front grew thicker and more tightly pressed together. Someone somewhere smelled like patchouli and it was evident that The Mars Volta could invoke such strange olfactory notions in a place like the Bren Center.
Finally the band was on stage with the unmistakable mane of band vocalist and frontman Cedric Bixler-Zavala with lead guitarist and overall master-musician, Omar Rodr