Jewish Group Refutes Civil Rights Report

235
235

The Orange County Task Force on Anti-Semitism released a report compiling previous acts of alleged anti-Semitism at UC Irvine on Tuesday, Feb. 12. Since its publication the report has come under fire from various members of the UCI community, many of whom supported the investigation on anti-Semitism conducted by the United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR), which stated that there is no evidence of anti-Semitic harrassment of Jewish students at UCI.
According to the report, the task force’s investigation was conducted from February 2007 to February 2008, referencing numerous documents and consisting of over 80 hours of interviews conducted with ‘all participating and interested parties as reasonably practical.’ Among those contacted included the Executive Directors of the Anti-Defamation League, the Jewish Federation, Hillel and members both past and present of groups such as Hillel and Anteaters for Israel.
However, Michelle Eshaghian, a third-year political science major and president of Hillel: The Jewish Student Union at UCI, stated that she and a lot of other Jewish students and leaders were not contacted for the investigation, and disputes its legitimacy.
‘I think that [the report] lacked a lot of proper analysis.