Anteaters Prepare for Fullerton

When:
Friday @ 6:15 p.m. Anteater Ballpark
Saturday @ 5 p.m. Anteater Ballpark
Sunday @ 1 p.m. Anteater Ballpark

This Friday marks one of the biggest weekends for the UC Irvine baseball team. This year’s match up against Cal State Fullerton, a college baseball powerhouse, has added intensity. Former UCI Head Coach Dave Serrano led the Anteaters to a fourth-place finish in the national rankings and UCI’s first appearance in the college world series last year. Serrano reaffirmed his commitment to building UCI into an elite program as he turned down offers from Oregon University and Fullerton. However, he unexpectedly accepted Fullerton after proclaiming he would not. This left a bitter taste in the program and many players were left with feelings of betrayal. The players have this date circled on their schedules and there should be an electric atmosphere at the ballpark. This is an event you do not want to miss.
Aside from the obvious vendetta between the clubs, the three-game series has a large impact on both teams’ status in the Big West standings. The Titans are currently 15-9 (1-1 in conference play) and ranked No. 21 in the nation by Rivals.com. UCI is 19-3 (2-1) and is tabbed as the seventh-best team.
The series will kick off Friday night when Scott Gorgen will take the mound against CSFU’s Jeff Kaplan. Gorgen has made a very strong case for Big West Pitcher of the Year honors thus far. He’s currently 5-1 with a 1.40 ERA and has recorded 55 strikeouts in just 45.1 innings.