Public NewSense

By Jeannette Brown

Thumbs down: The American Family Association. Despite failing in almost all of its efforts, the AFA is a monster that just won’t die. It continues to wage ridiculous boycotts against anything that breathes for not being “pro-family” enough. This laughingstock of an organization is now targeting McDonald’s because its vice president of communications has joined the board of directors of the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce. In the past, it has boycotted Crest toothpaste, Tide detergent and “Shark Tale” because it believed that the movie was trying to get kids to accept gay rights. While it’s a relief that the AFA’s laughable campaigns never accomplish much, handing out boycotts willy-nilly diminishes the value of boycotts for worthwhile causes … like boycotting the AFA.

Thumbs down: Attorney General Michael Mukasey. During a speech in San Francisco supporting warrantless eavesdropping and telecom immunity, Mukasey seemed to claim the government knew about specific calls from Afghanistan before 9/11 but lacked the legal authority to listen to the calls and thus prevent the attacks. Mukasey even threw in some tears … that is, some tears of lies. It’s simply untrue that warrants were required to listen to a targeted person calling from outside of the United States under the old FISA guidelines. It’s not entirely clear whether Mukasey fabricated the story or such a call ever occurred. Either way, the truth needs to come out; just spare us the disingenuous tears.

Thumbs down: MTV. MTV reported that rapper 50 Cent can no longer decide which candidate to vote for, as he previously switched from Hillary Clinton to Barack Obama. Clearly, if “Fiddy” can’t decide, then there’s no hope for the rest of us. MTV probably felt that it was important to inform us of the rapper’s views because who wouldn’t want to base his election decision on the opinion of such an “informed” rap star? It’s just another example of a useful report from MTV, which is surely what we’ve all come to expect from the channel that brings us such classy shows as “[fill in the blank with every single show on MTV].”