Racial Slurs Alleged By Arroyo Vista Students

Ginny Wang | Staff Photographer

Ginny Wang | Staff Photographer

Following an undisclosed number of racially motivated verbal abuse incidents among residents in the Arroyo Vista housing community, UC Irvine has decided to take steps to prevent acts of racism at AV.
The issue was first brought to the attention of AV residents via a mass e-mail from Joe Harvey, director of AV Housing. Although the e-mail did not name any specific instances, it did reference AV’s ethnic houses and international students as being subject to derogatory racial language throughout the year.
“These incidents have involved the verbal abuse of residents from our ethnic houses as well as some of our international residents, using language that I had believed was beyond those attending an institution of higher education,” Harvey wrote.
Harvey later told the New University that no instances of physical aggression motivated by racial conflict have occurred at AV this year.
However, Harvey emphasized that any time a racially motivated act occurs, the AV housing staff addresses the issue with the utmost concern.
“Any time we deal with racially motivated or racially involved incidences it’s always considered something serious … but as far as seriousness goes, if you’re looking for, was it physical, life threatening