Short History Of Sweets

As an aficionado of the Food Network, I have an understanding of the intricacies of the doughnut, the amazing superhero motions of gifted Iron Chefs, the origins of saccharine-rich confections and the secrets of chocolate and ice cream. For me, sugary edibles are of a particular interest.
Shockingly, in our lifetimes, we consume about 50,000 to 100,000 pounds of food! Have you ever wondered why the heck someone decided to put a hole in a doughnut? (After all, you’re losing a portion of that syrupy goodness you deserve.) Or why “we all scream” for ice cream? Did you know that you actually consume 10 tablespoons of sugar while chugging down a fizzy, ice-cold Coca-Cola? (Or Pepsi, take your pick) .
As sleep-deprived, sugar-dependent parasites, we literally feed off of a “spoonful of sugar” (or perhaps a few tablespoons, to be more precise). Yet, where did all this sugar come from? Well, for starters, the discovery of sugar roughly took place during the 11th century A.D. by Western Europeans following the Crusades.
After sugar, chocolate became the next big thing. Around the 16th century, Europeans coveted the utilization of chocolate, made from the famous cocoa tree. For the Aztecs, chocolate was thought to heal any suffering or physical discomfort and was used as a remedy to cure diseases. The Aztec Emperor Montezuma II embraced chocolate, and even had his very own “cocoa factory,” which would have put Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory to shame. Whatever purpose chocolate serves