222

Douchebag of the Week: “There won’t be riots at our convention. We [Republicans] don’t riot. We don’t burn our cars. We don’t burn down our houses. We don’t kill our children. We don’t do half the things the American left does. … [R]iots in Denver, at the Democratic Convention, will see to it we don’t elect Democrats. And that’s the best damn thing that can happen to this country, as far as I can think,” said Rush Limbaugh, calling for riots at the Democratic National Convention in Denver this summer. With all due respect to Limbaugh, the Democrats are perfectly capable of screwing up the convention for themselves, thank you very much. They don’t need your little call for riots. And if people on the “American left” can’t “burn down houses” and “kill children,” what’s the point of living?
Quest for Questions: “Is [Barack Obama] skittish around [Hilary Clinton] because he knows that she detests him and he’s used to charming everyone? Or does he feel guilty that he cut in line ahead of her? As the husband of Michelle, does he know better than to defy the will of a strong woman? Or is he simply scared of Hilary because she’s scary?” wrote New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd. Dowd must want to prove that in a competition to see who could pose an infinite series of completely pointless questions, she would win easily. So here is a question for Dowd to answer: Why does the New York Times continue to let her write such rubbish week after week?
Media Poseur Needs Disclosure: “This race is far more competitive at this point than I suspect either the Democrats are comfortable with or that John McCain would have expected. He should be way behind at this point … and yet McCain is hanging in there in both of the polls,” said Karl Rove on Fox News as an analyst for the election. However, Fox News has failed to disclose that for the past few months, Rove has been working as an advisor to McCain’s campaign. The claim to objectivity in the network’s “Fair and Balanced” slogan becomes all the more fraudulent each day that Rove’s ties are not disclosed.
Self-Explanatory Bonus Quote: “I love men. I love men being men. I love military men. And I thank God they are military men. But I find it hard to believe that all military men are ‘drinking and whoring Saturday night,’ and if they are in any kind of majority, yeah, that bears scrutiny,” wrote Kathryn Jean Lopez for the National Review Online. I also find a lot of things hard to believe, including this quote.
Bonus Self-Explanatory Bonus Quote: “Playboy is cheap compared to the rapes, pregnancies, sex-for-money and dopey entanglements that occur too regularly in our co-ed army,” wrote Lisa Schiffren for the National Review on the subject of American soldiers reading Playboy during their tours of duty in Iraq.