Women’s Tennis Falls Just Short

255
255

File Photo
File Photo
Rebecca Kwan won each of her matches verus Pacific and CSUN.
The No. 59-ranked UC Irvine women’s tennis team lost 4-0 to No. 39 Long Beach State on Sunday in the Big West Championship match at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
It was the fifth time the Lady Anteaters have appeared in the title match in eight years. They faced the 49ers in each of those five finals, and were only able to top them once. Long Beach state will advance to the NCAAs.
With the loss, the Anteaters finished with a 16-9 record on the season. They did have an impressive run to the title match beginning with a win over Pacific.

UCI 5 Pacific 0
On Friday, the Anteaters won two doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. Junior Clare Fermin and freshman Rebecca Kwan defeated Jolanta Twarowska, and Sasha Fisher 8-5 in the No. 2 match. Senior Jessica Broadfoot and junior Ali Borowicz beat Olga Gumenyuk and Clara Schuhmacher 8-4 in the No. 3 match.
In singles, the Anteaters dominated as they did in doubles. Senior Becky Bernhard defeated Jolanta Twarowska 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 1 match. Senior Inna Agababian beat Svenja Arens 7-5, 6-2 in the No. 2 match. Freshman Brooke Bartlett defeated Olga Gumenyuk 6-1, 6-4 in No. 4 singles. Junior Heidi Kaloi beat Sasha Fisher 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 6 match.

UCI 4 CSUN 0
The Anteaters carried their momentum to Saturday morning’s match against Cal State Northridge. They swept the Titans 4-0 with another dominating performance in the Big West semi-finals.
The Anteaters won two doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. Fermin and Kwan defeated Victoria Brymer and Sandra Kukla 8-4 in the No. 2 match. Broadfoot and Borowicz clinched the doubles point by beating Canna Furuta and Kristy Fournell 8-4 in No. 3 doubles.
Becky Bernhard put UCI up 2-0 as she defeated Victoria Brymer 6-1, 6-2 in the No. 1 match to win her 12th consecutive match. Broadfoot added another point as she made it 3-0 by beating Nina Jaworowski 6-2, 6-3 in No. 6 singles. Kwan clinched the overall win for UCI as she beat Brooke Doane 6-1, 3-6, 7-5 in the No. 5 match.
It was the Anteaters second consecutive shutout win and it was their 10th win in their last 12 matches.