It Ain’t ‘Wright’: McCain Makes too Nice on Obama Ad

I nominate Linda Daves, chairman of the North Carolina Republican Party, for president. The state party’s bold defiance of John McCain’s interference with their local politics was refreshing. It seems that Daves is more prepared to wage a war on the Democrats than little Johnny McCain.
The controversy started when the North Carolina Republicans decided to run an ad attacking Democratic gubernatorial candidates Beverly Perdue and Richard Moore based on their support for Barack Obama. McCain was miffed because the ad mentioned Reverend Jeremiah Wright’s repulsive “God Damn America” sermon.
“The television advertisement you are planning to air degrades our civics and distracts us from the very real differences we have with the Democrats. In the strongest terms, I implore you to not run this advertisement,” said Senator Maverickus Maleficarus.
Daves responded defiantly: “We plan to run the ad because I think that we’re thinking about the people of North Carolina. This is not about the president’s race. This is about the people of North Carolina, and they have a right to know. … It is also my responsibility to point out the weaknesses of the [Democratic] candidates in North Carolina.”
My question to Senator McCain is, “How does it feel? Do you like having your own comrades flip you the bird and do as they please?” The difference is that Daves not only expressed the opinion of the state party, but the state voters as well.
A poll taken after McCain essentially clinched the nomination on Super Tuesday still showed Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee at his heels, 45-40. Not that Huckabee was any better, but he was considered a “real conservative” (ha ha ha). The Republicans of North Carolina didn’t like McCain or Obama’s liberal politics.
North Carolina Republicans don’t want the stance of Reverend Wright, a former member of one of Obama’s religious steering committees, to influence state policy. As such, they aren’t going to support the candidacy of anyone who sides with the Obama campaign, which employed this man. It’s a legitimate issue, and Senator McCain should have stayed out of it.
On the other hand, McCain champions essentially everything that his Republican constituents don’t want: stopping waterboarding, standardizing anti-global warming regulation and opening the border. When Republicans wonder why he ignores his base, he claims that they’re “out of touch with reality.” Now you get a taste of it, Senator. Conservatives are the mavericks now.
What bothers me most is that Senator McCain was more than willing to run attack ads about Mitt Romney, the other conservative candidate during the Republican primaries. God forbid, though, that Republicans should run an ad attacking Obama.
We, of course, want to be friends with the Democrats and enemies with the base. Thank God for Rush Limbaugh’s “Operation: Chaos,” or we’d be in serious trouble. Rather, we’d be worse off than we already are, which is hard to imagine.
I suppose that I should thank Mr. Maverick. In writing his idiotic letter to the North Carolina Republican Party, he ended up generating free press for the ad as the networks ran it over and over. I don’t, however, think that this was his intent. Senator McCain would love to run the Republican base out of the party. The old Rockefeller wing has reared its ugly head, trying to draw in liberals rather than convert them. My main concern about this incident is the leftward movement of the Republican Party. While the country is rapidly turning into a one-party system, I think that having two distinct, bitterly-opposed parties is a much stronger deterrent to the growth of government than “reaching across the aisle” ever will be.
Most politicians, regardless of party, are going to try to grow the government, as hypocritical Republicans did before they were run out of office in 2006. All that matters to me is that conservative voters have enough pull to make Republicans-in-name-only think twice before falling in with liberals.
So long as McCain draws in left-leaning moderates, the party gains freedom to raise taxes, give social security to illegal immigrants and do whatever else Senator McCain sees fit. The bigger the stalemate, the greater the gridlock and the better the country.

Patrick Ross is a fourth-year English major. He can be reached at pross@uci.edu.