Carrie and Company So ‘UnSucSexy’

Sarah Jessica Parker has done it again, folks. Many critics did not have high expectations for “Sex and the City.” The series was good for 30-minute interval shows, but many were skeptical about the four ladies’ abilities to project their romance with sex and New York City from the small screen onto the big screen.
The movie begins with a quick recap by Parker for all first-time viewers. The beginning scenes begin where the television series left off. Carrie (Parker) is still happily dating Mr. Big (Chris Noth). Miranda (Cynthia Nixon) and Steve (David Eigenberg) are still together with son Brady and maid Magda in tow. Samantha (Kim Cattrall) is relocated in Los Angeles with her flame Smith Jerrod (Jason Lewis). Charlotte (Kristin Davis) is living her domestic, fairy-tale life with husband Harry (Evan Handler) and their adopted Chinese daughter Lily. Although the film begins with smiles and laughter, it is comprised of the progression of the “real life” after the show, which includes (but is not limited to) heart-wrenching unhappiness through acts of betrayal, heartbreak and learning to forgive and forget.
Throughout the film, although the women keep to their unique identities—the only character to grow and develop is Miranda. However, Miranda shows a dormant side of her when approached with a life-changing decision.
Still, not to be overshadowed, the other three women provide unique performances as the characters they play on the show, staying true to their exaggerated dispositions and their fans. Carrie is still a self-absorbed hopeless romantic out to woo Mr. Big at any cost, Samantha’s sex drive is still on overdrive and Charlotte keeps to her naive thoughts and notions on life. Even their gay best friends Stanford Blatch (Willie Garson) and Anthony Marentino (Mario Cantone) deliver their acts as overtly gay men expertly armed with wit, sarcasm and Armani.
Speaking of looking fierce, one cannot forget the secondary theme of “Sex and the City,” which has provided the show a cult-like following of women: the labels! This film was fashion on steroids. Five minutes did not go by without a name drop such as Christian Lacroix, Louis Vuitton and Diane Von Furstenberg. This pervading presence in the movie, however, did not stand alone. Fashion was accompanied by Ms. Louise from St. Louis, played by “Dreamgirl” Jennifer Hudson.
Hudson plays a young, hip assistant of Parker’s that adores labels so much that she insists on renting designer handbags to look fabulous. It was a pleasant surprise to see her youthful, urban flair impact the film and the women’s lives in unexpected ways. Her Missouri charm brings refreshment to the film, which otherwise would have been completely overtaken by older, Caucasian females in their 40s complaining about problems that they themselves tended to create.
Looking back, this movie is definitely a treat for “Sex and the City” fans. The encompassing theme of love and finding one’s true self amidst the glitz and glamour of love and labels does not disappoint. If you’re not a fan, this movie definitely tanks. Although the acting is decent, the plot is nonexistent and the drama that follows the women around is generic and overtly exaggerated. This movie delivers as a summer-y, casual movie.