‘Eater Awards Recognizes Student Orgs.

141
141

Adib Towfiq | Staff Photographer
Adib Towfiq | Staff Photographer
Public Health Association of UC Irvine receives Most Outstanding Academic Organization at the 2008 Anteater Awards last Wednesday.
Outstanding student clubs and organizations were honored at the Anteater Awards held in the Crystal Cove Auditorium on Wednesday May 28.
The reception opened the festivities and featured two UC Irvine a cappella groups.
Although Associate Dean of Students and Master of Ceremonies Rameen Talesh for the evening provided enough energy to keep the entire room engaged for the night, a number of student performances also entertained audience members throughout the evening. Performances included dance numbers by the Modern Completely Insane Anteaters, UCI B-Boys Anonymous and a special solo performance by Kaitlyn Shipley of the Barebones Dance Theater at UCI.
Several student organizations impressed the audience by receiving multiple awards during the show. One group who received multiple awards was the Pilipino Americans in Social Studies. PASS received awards for Most Original Publicity/Marketing, Most Outstanding Social/Support Organization and Most Outstanding Educational Program.
Circle K received awards for Most Outstanding Traditional Program, Most Outstanding Service Organization and Most Outstanding Community Service Program for their Boys and Girls Club of Tustin reading program.
“We did 12,000 hours of community service as a 100-member club last year, but what difference does it make if the rest of the 25,000 people on the campus aren’t making the same difference?” asked President Sarah Bana.
Bana plans to reach out to other campus organizations interested in doing community service and help them connect to the community alongside Circle K.
As president of the Alliance of Business Students, Monica Chadorchi accepted awards for Most Outstanding Student Organization and Most Outstanding Executive Board. The fourth-year international studies major came away from the event with two awards and a renewed pride in her executive board, consisting of Ana Kurihara, Danny Chammas Marlo Pabon and Erik Homsapaya.
“I didn’t expect us to win the award. … You really don’t think you’re doing something amazing until people point it out to you,” Chadorchi said.
The Alliance of Business Students received their awards for their diligence in running nine different business clubs on the UCI campus.
Alpha Chi Omega took home the award for Most Outstanding Greek Organization for the third year in a row. “We revamped a lot of programming so we’re not just resting on our laurels, we’re actually making an effort to improve every year,” said President Leslie Akizuki, a third-year political science and international studies major. She attributes the award to the chapter’s strong sisterhood bond and its recognition in seven different categories at this year’s Greek Awards. Alpha Chi Omega also received recognition in the program for Overall Chapter Excellence as well as Greek Woman of the Year for former President Lindsay Miller.
“We have a lot of campus involvement and the chapter is very unified and supportive of each other,” Akizuki said.
Akizuki attended the event on behalf of not only her chapter, but also to support sorority member Rachel Bell, who received the award for Most Outstanding President for her work with the Barebones Dance Theater.
“I was incredibly honored to receive the award and I wouldn’t have been able to do it without the support of my committee. … This year we just really worked on expanding what we did—the biggest and most obvious result is that we were able to use the Barclay Theatre as our venue,” Bell said.
Shaheen Sayani, a third-year film and media studies and anthropology double major and member of the student committee running Anteater Awards, said she was more than satisfied with the way the show went.
“We wanted to have the community as a whole recognize these students,” Sayani said.
Just two years ago, the Anteater Awards were called “Student Organization Recognition Night” and were regarded as a private affair. Each organization was only allowed two guests and the event was held at the University Center. Last year marked the first step toward opening the event to the public by holding it in the Barclay Theatre.
Sandy Winslow, director of Campus Organizations, expressed her admiration for this year’s event.
“This year had a great energy and enthusiasm since the audience felt a bigger connection to the students on stage,” Winslow said.