Singing and Clowning With D-Bell and C-Lo

Courtesy of UCI Athletics

Courtesy of UCI Athletics
Dillon Bell (left), Chris Lopez (middle) and Ollie Linton (right) are the three members of UCI’s skit team, “The Company.” Bell will have to carry on “The Company” by himself next year without his buddies.

Baseball Head Coach Mike Gillespie attributes the UC Irvine baseball team’s success in part to its uncanny team chemistry. Of course, the team chemistry is kindled by the world-famous skit group, “The Company.” This week, the New University sat down and had a deep conversation with Chris Lopez (C-Lo) and once again with Dillon Bell. Both of them requested not to include the missing third of “The Company,” Ollie Linton—they claimed he receives too much attention. We accommodated their request.

Tyler Davis: C-Lo, Ollie and Dillon claim you get stage fright and always use the same voice when you do “The Company.” Are they liars?

Chris Lopez: They are liars. And I’m upset my picture wasn’t in the New U. It’s going to be this week—hopefully. As you guys know, I hate Ollie. He is my brotha.’ We met when we were 11 years old and we’re roommates. But I just hate him. I go to Omaha and all I here are these “Ollie! Ollie! Ollie!” chants, I go to the bookstore and I see all these pamphlets [of him] and I see all your guys’ New U pictures of him.

Umar Hussain: Let’s hear some of his bad habits.

Lopez: Eh, I don’t want to blow him up that bad. But there are some bad things that he does.

Hussain: Like what?

Lopez: He scares the crap out of me all the time, he hogs the bathroom and he eats my snacks.

Davis: Dillon, you should know that Coach Gillespie told us that you don’t hold a candle to C-Lo and Ollie when it comes to “The Company.”

Bell: First of all, that’s way false. I’m the best actor in “The Company.”

Hussain: Coach said you need to take drama courses.

Bell: Coach is way off on that. When you see our DVD, you’ll see. You’ll appreciate my acting abilities. And you know, most of the time I’m actually the one who comes up with the ideas.

Davis: What was your best idea?

Bell: Uhh … well my best idea was recently actually. It was uhh…

Lopez: You guys know this is a lie, right?

Davis: The longer you take to answer the question, the more I’m going to believe you’re lying.

Bell: No, no, no I’m trying to think of what we did recently…

Lopez: You want my take on it? I don’t have to take any drama classes; I’m born with these funny, clever ideas. I’m the one who comes up with the best skit ideas.

Davis: What was your best idea?

Lopez: My best idea had to have been the karate draft.

Bell: That was the worst skit of the year.

Lopez: And Peter the Anteater day on Anteater field. We also had the senior roast, which was my idea. Hey I also came up with the Cooperstown Hall of Fame tour guide.

Hussain: Can you tell us more about that one?

Lopez: I was the tour guide—I was the host. My name was “C-Lo Green, the Tour Hosting Machine.” I took them around, we had some wax figures, we had Babe Ruth as Whammer [last season’s official dugout captain] we had the Phillie Phanatic, the Big Red Head, but the centerpiece was Jackie Robinson sliding at home plate—so we had Ollie sliding in. I think it was Jackie Robinson day. It was a big hit.

Davis: So given your acting abilities, if your name isn’t called in the MLB draft, what’s in your future?

Lopez: If a team and I don’t come to an agreement in the last round of the draft, probably the 50th, I’m thinking about doing some acting over the summer. Some acting companies have already been contacting me. CBS Sports is one of them. [Bell laughs]. I’m really thinking about going into that department. I might come back here and helping out with the pitching staff. I know these guys are going to miss me.

Hussain: Are you going to help out “The Company,” too?

Lopez: I’m not going to be apart of that. And I know the talent is going to go way down-hill because the gods aren’t there. I mean they’re still going to do it, but the talent will go down. You got Dillon Bell here, he’s going to try, but he’s not going to be as good.

Davis: You feel pressure Dillon?

Bell: No. See I don’t feel any pressure because I’m losing only one real good actor, and that’s Ollie. C-Lo, you know, he gets camera shy. The first time we actually recorded our “Company,” he tried to stop it. He stumbled over his words and said, “Stop! Stop! Let’s redo it.” He gets a little scared in front of the camera. I think I can find some guys to help me out for “The Company” next year; it won’t be a big deal.

Davis: How did you guys come up with the name, “The Company?”

Bell: You’re going to have to ask Ollie about that. I think he got it from a movie.

Hussain: How did “The Company” start?

Lopez: “The Company” started with Ollie a couple years ago. He would be doing some funny T.O. and Chad Johnson end-zone dances. But I knew he was missing something. He was missing some spark and excitement—missing some Cuban flavor. So I told him, “Hey, you can use me, I have some good ideas for you.” The show really picked up after that.

Hussain: Do you feel like Ollie let all the fame go to his head?

Lopez: Oh, yeah. I don’t like how all the girls talk about him at the bars.

Davis: C-Lo, how come they’re not talking about you?

Lopez: Well, because I’m a relief pitcher and I pitch once every three weeks … [Ollie’s] a little Teddy Bear.

Bell: You, see? C-Lo’s a lot of talk—that’s the problem. He doesn’t come through with his actions.

Davis: What action is he not coming up with?

Bell: Well, his acting in the skits. And, his ideas are outrageous. Whenever we’re about to do his skits, we’ll say, “This one’s C-Lo’s idea” because we know it’s not going to be very good. Then everyone goes, “Oh God, here we go again.”

Davis: It sounds like you guys can agree that Ollie is the heart and soul of “The Company.”

Bell: He’s the founder. He gets the most screen time because he’s usually the announcer. I don’t want to take too much credit and introduce the skits.

Davis: And you don’t want to be all talk, right?

Bell: Yeah, exactly. But you know, sometimes C-Lo we’ll want to introduce it and he struggles. So Ollie’s had to pick him up lately.

Davis: So C-Lo, I hear you’re a song-writer as well?

Lopez: I am. I have a hit single out right now. It’s called, “Back Together.”

Bell: It’s not just you though, it’s me, Ollie… see he hypes himself up and gives himself way too much credit!

Lopez: Hold on a second, I came up with the song. I was just singing because I was depressed in my room (because his ex-girlfriend dumped him). So I started thinking about all the things that reminded me of my ex-girl. And I came up with a hit song—I had some background singers, “The Company.”

Davis: I’d love it if you could give us the chorus.

Lopez: “Back Togetherrrr! Back Togetherrrrrrr!” And then we go into a verse.

Hussain: So, last year when you guys were in Omaha you got some national coverage on “The Company.” Are you going to have some better stuff for them this time?

Lopez: It’s always better. I’m going to be the specialist. Ollie’s probably going to play a small role because he’s going to be getting a lot of attention in Omaha. I’ll throw Dillon Bell on the side too. But I’m going to use other guys. We have some crazy ideas.

Davis: Dillon, are you going to miss this guy?

Bell: Yeah. I’m going to miss him a lot. He’s a good guy. Behind all the trash we talk, we know we love each other. We both enjoy each other’s acting and definitely enjoy each other’s singing.

Hussain: Are the feelings mutual C-Lo?

Lopez: You know what, I really do love Dillon. I really do love Ollie—but I love Dillon a little more. I’m going to look back in a couple weeks and be missing these guys.