Drawn and Quoted

Douchebag of the Week: “The portrait [on “SNL”] was very dismissive of the substance of Sarah Palin … and yes, I would say [it was] sexist, in the sense that just because Sarah Palin has different views than Hillary Clinton does not mean that she lacks substance,” said Carly Fiorina, an advisor to John McCain, in response to Tina Fey’s spot-on imitation of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin. What exactly are all those different views that Fiorina mentions? Perhaps if Palin actually gave a press conference like all vice presidential candidates then people would know her views better and if she really has any “substance” beyond what she’s been taught to say.
What’s really sexist is hiding Palin from the press for more than three weeks because the McCain campaign believes “deference” should be shown toward her. Deference is for a monarchy, not for a candidate for one of the highest positions in U.S. government.
To be or not to be … Weird: “Sometimes I think I would get more media if I just dressed up as a panda and went to the zoo […] to be or not to be a panda,” said ignored presidential candidate Ralph Nader in what may be the best or worst campaign ad ever created. A sad Nader confides to a parrot named Cardozo in the commercial and wonders why he is not getting any attention from the press. It’s almost enough to make you feel sorry for the guy, but not quite. Now where’s that panda suit?
A Black Belt for America: “Chuck Norris remembers a better America – an America of faith, freedom, and respect for tradition, history, and human life – and in “Black Belt Patriotism” he shows what we need to do to reawaken the American dream, reignite the American spirit and give our children and grandchildren the America they deserve,” states the blurb for Chuck Norris’s new book “Black Belt Patriotism.” Unless Norris can deliver a roundhouse kick to the face of America’s problems, looking to the Walker Texas Ranger for solutions may not be America’s best option.
A Conservative of Doubt: “I am not denying that Sarah Palin may have great skills. She may well. I am insisting that neither you, nor I, nor John McCain has any valid reason to believe that she does. This is not an argument about the attributes she lacks. It’s an argument about the information we lack. I am pleading with my fellow conservatives: Please demand more and better knowledge before you commit yourselves to a political leader,” David Frum wrote for the National Review Online after receiving flak from his readers for not enthusiastically taking to the Palin pick. Frum must have missed the memo that Palin is “just your average hockey mom” with small town values, so she represents all that is holy and good in America, while people like Frum, an elitist, east coast, ivy league graduate, is the one who should be doubted because knowledge and expertise are apparently overrated.
Self-Explanatory Bonus Quote: “That’s the flaw of the Bush doctrine. It wasn’t that he went after those who attacked America. It was that he went after those who didn’t,” Barack Obama said during one of the Democratic debates moderated by Charlie Gibson.