234

Thumbs Down to Louisiana State Representative John LaBruzzo: The Republican recently stated his support for a plan that will pay poor women $1,000 to have their fallopian tubes tied so they will have fewer pregnancies. According to the legislator, far too many poor women are reproducing at faster rates than better educated, affluent families. The Times-Picayune reported that LaBruzzo acknowledged it would be a difficult plan to sell politically, but he believes a sterilization program is a good way to avoid welfare and abortions and ultimately people will be excited about the proposal. Whatever happened to conservatives who believe in leaving people to their own devices and the ideals of self-government and a strong sense of personal responsibility for your actions? One would think that making basic birth control easily accessible to all women would be a smarter plan than a government funded program to sterilize the poor and tax-incentives to get women from a wealthy background to reproduce. Whatever solutions there are to fight poverty, welfare and poor family planning, sterilization has to be the dumbest.
Thumbs Down to Keyes not being the Key: In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, Alan Keyes gave his opinion about Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama because he is the only person to have debated both of them. Of course, his take on the candidates was as irrelevant as his role in this election, but his views were amusing for the way only Keyes can serve up that special mix of supreme self-righteousness and a misplaced sense of importance. Keyes stated, “Both of them, I confess, I found not very impressive as people in debates. If by eloquence we mean the force of truth, then neither of these guys is good at debate.”
Ah yes, because only Keyes has the real truth on his side. At least if Obama and McCain are supposedly unimpressive “as people in debates,” they are impressive in other ways, which is more than one could say for Keyes.
Thumbs up to Campbell Brown: The CNN anchor recently called out the McCain campaign for preventing Sarah Palin from speaking to political journalists in a press conference, which is a task that should be expected of all vice presidential candidates. Brown stated, “Stop treating Sarah Palin like she is a delicate flower that will wilt at any moment […] you claim she’s ready to be one heartbeat away from the presidency. If that is the case, then end this chauvinistic treatment of her now. Allow her to show her stuff. Allow her to face down those pesky reporters.” While the CNN anchor claims it’s sexist to keep Palin hidden away, the McCain campaign probably doesn’t see it that way, therefore it’s only fair to conclude they just want to hide how unprepared and unqualified Palin is for the number two spot.