UCI Sports Preview for this Week

Women’s Volleyball at Pacific
Women’s volleyball will be traveling to Stockton, California on Friday to play Pacific University. The team is coming off a tough loss to Cal State Fullerton and will use this week’s game to improve their 7-9 overall record. The Anteaters have struggled slightly thus far to fill the role of graduated middle blocker Kristin Kelly. The team has been trying different options to solidify their style and create a consistent offensive and defensive system. Taryn Robertson has been and will be an integral part of this success as she has posted 590 assists and 122 digs on the season. Irvine takes on the struggling Pacific Tigers who are 3-9 overall.

Women’s Golf at BMW Intercollegiate
The women’s golf team will hit the fairways at the Coast BMW Intercollegiate on Monday and Tuesday at the Monarch Dunes Golf Course in San Luis Obisbo. The team is coming off a fourth place finish at the Ron Moore Intercollegiate last month.
The squad will be led by senior Jane Chin who shot a school record 54-hole total of 208.
The team will be golfing against schools like Cal State Northridge, Santa Clara, Cal State Bakersfield and Cal Baptist. This will be the team’s second tournament this season as they move toward a fifth straight Big West Championship title.

Men’s Soccer at UC Riverside
The UC Irvine men’s soccer team will take on UC Riverside this week at Riverside on Saturday at 7 p.m. The game features an Irvine team that has stalled a bit as of late after a 2-1 loss to UC Santa Barbara on Saturday and a 1-1 tie to UC Davis that featured 57 fouls and two red cards.
The Anteaters will try to add to their very impressive 7-1-3 record. The unranked Riverside team is looking at a win to improve a bleak 3-5-1 start to their season. The Irvine standout strikers Amani Walker and Spencer “Freight Train” Thompson have combined for seven goals for the season. Irvine is currently ranked 22nd in the nation.

Women’s Soccer at Long Beach State
The women’s soccer team will take on Long Beach State this Sunday in a Black and Blue Rivalry Series game at 2 p.m. at George Allen Field in Long Beach. The team has improved its record to 7-6 and 1-1 in conference play with a win Sunday against UC Davis, beating them 1-0.
The Anteaters will attempt to knock a surging (8-3-2) Long Beach State squad that features star mid-fielder Lindsay Bullock who has seven goals on the season. UC Irvine’s stellar defense, which only has 1.14 goals-against average should make this matchup interesting.