243

A new season is upon us, and as the sun goes into hiding, so does last season’s fashion. In the meantime, any girl can update her wardrobe with a few of this season’s trendy accessories on a college budget.

Heavy Metal:
This fall, it’s all about the details. Zippers, chains and studs give basic pieces an edge. Layered chain necklaces inspired by Givenchy’s plentiful piles of silver can be recreated by buying chains from a craft store. The same effect can also be accomplished by simply layering chunky necklaces of your own. Statement jewelry like this can toughen up a simple dress at night or add instant style to an everyday ensemble.
Exposed zippers seen at Marc by Marc Jacobs and Alexander Wang not only make form-fitting dresses and skirts more interesting, but are also ridiculously easy to make. By simply sewing a zipper onto a piece of clothing — the zipper doesn’t even have to function for this look — a plain piece can be instantly transformed into chic.

Haute Hippie:
“Luxe bohemian” may sound like an oxymoron, but Anna Sui and Gucci’s Frida Giannini proved that 1960s-inspired prints, feathers and fringe could be glamorous and modern. Elements of this trend can be worn in everyday life with hair accessories, jewelry and eclectic prints. Fringed boots, in both the short bootie and knee-high varieties, are a cold-weather must-have.
Fashion houses like Balmain, who debuted a high heel-moccasin-ankle boot hybrid, and sought-after labels like Louboutin have released their own spin-offs of the “original” (the original moccasin brand to be marketed to the masses, that is), more wearable and less pricey Minnetonka styles.

Grunge 2.0:
For those of us who were still in OshKosh overalls when grunge took over the 1990s, the fashion world is giving us another chance. Alexander Wang’s combination of masculine and feminine embodies the new grunge that’s a hit with the young and fashionable. Ripped tights, distressed denim and baggy trousers appeared on the runway along with plenty of black and neutral tones. Once known as a goth kid’s clunky combat boot, Doc Martens have been adopted by trendsetters like Daisy Lowe (who stars in the company’s advertising campaign) and Agyness Deyn.