Shocktoberfest Enlivens UCI

Sandra Lee | Staff Photographer

Sandra Lee | Staff Photographer
Juicy J checks out a sea of fans during Three 6 Mafia’s performance.

The air outside of the Bren Events Center smelled of sweat, weed and booze. Tens of thousands gathered to witness Shocktoberfest and its two headliners, Matt Costa and Three 6 Mafia.
The booths outside the Bren that lined Mesa Road from göt2b, Cielo Yogurt, Red Bull and various other companies were handing out free goods to students while Low vs. Diamond mixed some background beats. These freebies included frozen yogurt, photos, Red Bull energy drinks, hair products, cups and t-shirts.
Finally, students began to line up amongst the strobe light-illuminated trees outside the center. One could tell that the crowd was pumped as it was pushing and pulling its way into the Bren. Once in, each student was given a choice: mosh pit or bleachers?
Originally, the mosh pit seemed ideal, but after getting stepped on by a girl in heels, grabbed by two incoherently drunk guys and nearly thrown into the center of a fight, the serenity of the bleachers seemed so much more appealing. Keep in mind that this madness was set to the mellow tunes of Matt Costa’s performance. Imagining the insanity of Three 6 Mafia, pushing through the crowd to sit down was a better idea.
Costa and his band members took the stage, beginning with his most popular song, “Long December.” His calming voice, warm sound and articulate lyrics dominated the performance while some students grabbed their cell phones to record video footage.
Costa’s performance continued, with mixed feelings from the audience. While his singing was in key and his band was on spot, the majority of people were not there to listen to his soothing voice hang over licks on an acoustic guitar. They wanted bass. They wanted volume. They wanted Three 6 Mafia.
However, after ASUCI sports videos and some basketball competitions, Kaba Modern took the stage, leaving few disappointed. The group pulled together an amazing performance and prepared the spectators for the madness that was to ensue.
After the last elongated, random competition, DJ Paul and Juicy J of Three 6 Mafia took the stage.
Kicking it off with the hit “Dough Boy Fresh,” Mafia busted out the rhymes as the audience went crazy. The synchronized movement of the masses’ arms was almost as hypnotizing as DJ Paul and Juicy J jumping around.
Alhough it seemed as though the audience was enjoying itself, people later ranted that the pit was far too male-dominated, as most girls were too intimidated by the rowdiness.
Dark beats, gritty, provocative lyrics and humor were the base of Three 6 Mafia’s performance. Though dancing to the majority of the duo’s songs, students seemed even more entertained by Three 6’s audience polls such as, “How many of ya like smokin’ weed? How many of ya like havin’ sex?” The answer? A lot.
While most were having fun, there were many students who seemed offended by the raunchy lyrics and jokes made by the group. Not everyone could stomach words like “I like having sex but I’d rather get some head.”
Although Three 6 Mafia’s performance was strong for most fans, it only played about a minute of each song before cutting it off with an explosive sound-effect and moving on to another song.
Despite this, the biggest hit of the night was the popular “Loli Loli (Pop That Body)” to which even the most conservative fans got up and danced. After a final segment that concluded with “Stay Fly,” Mafia left the stage while everyone ran outside to the after-party, Aftershock.
The “club-inspired” Aftershock, however, was a disappointment to most. While the music was danceable, the energy was lacking and many students chose instead to either hit another fraternity party or get food at the University Town Center.
In the end, it was clear that Shocktoberfest 2008 was as fun as people made it. The performances were solid and there was something for everyone at the concert. Students were given everything needed to have a great night – free food, music, dancing, contests and sports. It just depended on what they made of it.