Barack Obama for President

With America’s recent economic downturn and decline in morale stemming from, among other causes, foreign policy failures in the Middle East, the last eight years have been reason enough for the majority of Americans to have a lack of faith in the executive branch. For this reason, Americans need a change and that change is Barack Obama, the best choice for this country’s next president and the New University editorial board strongly endorses his historic candidacy.
To restore America’s image, this country needs someone capable of bringing proven leadership to the position, someone who can take control of the conflict in the Middle East, someone who has a consistent stance on civil liberties and human rights, someone who can take care of the little guy, someone who is a good judge of character and someone who evokes confidence.
Obama has demonstrated all these qualities and more. At the onset of the Iraq war, though he was not yet a senator, he stood out by opposing the war. Comparatively, his opponent, John McCain, voted in support of a war that has caused the deaths of over 4,000 U.S. troops in a perilous region that is far from establishing a legitimate and functioning democracy.
Obama wants to work on building the diplomatic ties that the Bush administration has damaged, as demonstrated in his eagerness to have government officials meet with foreign representatives. He has shown this idea in his plans for stabilizing the Middle East region. Obama believes in a dialogue with oppositional leaders rather than sheer force, and his approach would be a refreshing change from the past eight years under the Bush administration.
In regards to civil liberties and human rights, Obama – a Constitutional scholar – has taken firm stances that support the principles this country was founded on. As for social issues, two controversial topics are paramount during this election: gay rights and abortion. One common ground that Obama and McCain share is their support of civil unions. However, Obama has said that he would vote to repeal the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as between a man and a woman on a federal level. McCain, on the other hand, voted in support of this act. Obama supports Roe v. Wade, which has allowed women the right to choose for more than 35 years, while McCain believes that this historic case should be overturned, which would infringe upon the rights of women.
Beyond civil liberties and human rights, Obama also wants Americans to have money in their pockets. Since the concept of a trickle-down economy does not always work, Obama will hold those at the top accountable since they have gotten a free ride for too long. He also believes that mortgage professionals should be punished for fraudulent behavior, and he has shown a greater grasp of the economic problems that currently plague the country than McCain.
At the university level, every student in America is, in one way or another, affected by tuition hikes. To help curb this problem, Obama plans to offer as much as a $4,000 tax credit for students who perform up to 100 hours of community service.
In judging character, one only needs to look as far as a candidate’s running mate. Joe Biden has served as a senator for more than 30 years. He has also helmed the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, adding great credibility to Obama’s ticket.
In contrast, Sarah Palin is dangerously inexperienced. Apart from a few embarrassing interviews, Palin has virtually ignored all media representatives and refuses to give a proper press conference prior to Election Day.
Obama evokes memories of past presidents such as John F. Kennedy, and there is a reason for this. He is a constitutional scholar who honed his skills at the University of Chicago and has been able to express his values in a diplomatic demeanor. This has not been lost on members of the Republican party, as Obama has received endorsements from such individuals as former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, William Weld and Arne Carlson, the former governors of Massachusetts and Minnesota, respectively.
Lastly, Obama has managed to run a smart and responsible political campaign that has not made race and ethnicity a factor in his drive for the presidency.
So, when you vote Nov. 4, keep change in mind and vote for Barack Obama.

Send comments to newuopinion@gmail.com. Please include your name, year and major.