Playstation 3 Goes ‘Big’

266
266

After countless beta teases and an aggravating world-wide delay, Media Molecule’s “LittleBigPlanet” is finally accessible for all gamers who own a Playstation 3, and it has been well worth the wait. This game is beyond phenomenal; it has so greatly exceeded expectations since its release last week that a sequel is already in the works.
While “LittleBigPlanet” might seem like just another multiplayer puzzle platformer, there is much more involved. What makes the game so intriguing is your ability to create levels from scratch and to have others play your creations through the online feature. Because of this ability to create custom levels, “LittleBigPlanet” never falls into the rut of repetitiveness that so many multiplayer games suffer from.
The replay value for “LittleBigPlanet” is infinite, and user-created levels can reach truly astonishing heights in terms of imagination. In these levels you could help free animals from a zoo, assist in a bank robbery, travel to Japan or catch the Joker in a Batman-themed level. The possibilities are truly limitless.
An additional source of joy in the online world of “LittleBigPlanet” is the main storyline, in which you travel around the world and play different ethnically-oriented levels.
When you first start the game, you are greeted by the elegant British accent of comedian Stephen Fry, who serves as the narrator throughout the course of your travels. He introduces your character: a cute little doll-like creature named Sackboy.
Sackboy’s appearance is also based solely on customization. You can transform him into a lion, a robot or a ninja. He can even be outfitted into famous video game characters such as Kratos from “God of War” or Sephiroth from “Final Fantasy VII.”
Sackboy is very reminiscent of Nintendo’s Mario in that he runs, jumps, grabs things and that’s about it. He can also move his arms, head and pelvis in order to dance when he wins a level, and he can put stickers and random objects on anything. There are no weapons and you are unable to attack anything, unless you feel like slapping co-players or harassing them by stamping feathers and donkey tails all over their bodies.
As for gameplay, you’ll never know what to expect with each new level because each one is so intricately designed. When you play these levels, it’s almost intimidating to know that you could potentially re-create the entire level on your own, for everything that you see is something that you can build.
The main goal of each level is to obtain as many bubble points, costumes, stickers and objects as you can while reaching the finish line in one piece. This is harder than it sounds, especially during later levels when flaming bombs and electrical platforms become the norm.
The aura of “LittleBigPlanet” is so energetic and charming that it becomes addictive. The visual aspect of the game is simply astounding, for it feels as if you’re playing a Pixar pop-up book filled with arts and crafts. Not to mention, there is an amazing soundtrack featuring artists such as The Go! Team, Jim Noir and Battles.
It is almost difficult to fathom that such an innovative game could exist, and it is hard to pinpoint exactly what “LittleBigPlanet” is all about unless you’ve experienced the game for yourself. “LittleBigPlanet” might just be a game big enough to help rocket the PS3 above its competitors, for the game alone is enough reason to invest in one. It’s just that good.