Douchebag of the Week: “The Iskander missile system will be deployed in the Kaliningrad region to neutralize, when necessary, the [United States] missile shield,” said Russian President Dmitry Medvedev in his first state-of-the-nation address on Nov. 5. Medvedev’s beefing up of Russia’s military comes in direct response to a planned U.S. missile shield built in Eastern Europe. Other notable comments made during Medvedev’s address included blaming the U.S. for the recent war between Russia and Georgia, canceling previous plans to reduce missile regiments and ambitions to extend his own presidential term limit from four to six years (how thoughtful). Since it’s the first time in years that both the U.S. and Russia have gained new leadership, Medvedev apparently figures it’s the appropriate time to begin a new Cold War.
Destroying Your Own Legacy Award: “To put it very simply, he is our first African-American president; or he will be. And we wish him well. But his choice, basically, is whether he’s going to be Uncle Sam for the people of this country, or Uncle Tom for the giant corporations,” said independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader in response to Barack Obama being elected to the office of President of the United States. While it is logical that the famed political activist would be critical of whoever came out on top on Nov. 4, Nader’s choice of diction is cringe-worthy. Perhaps just as troubling as the racial connotations associated with the term “Uncle Tom” is how much of a publicity stunt this was for the increasingly irrelevant Nader. One can only hope that when Nader’s legacy is remembered, his actions in the 20th century outweigh his actions in the 21st. With his over-the-top vocabulary, Nader has essentially transformed from a respectable consumer advocate to the Bob Saget of American politics.
Delusions of Grandeur: “If the president calls me and asks me to talk to him about something, I’m going to talk to him. Whatever I am going to do, I am going to keep faith in what I’ve been fighting for,” said 2004 Democratic presidential loser John Kerry about the possibility of being appointed to a cabinet position by president-elect Barack Obama. If Obama has any good sense, he will not let the man who allowed George Bush to become a two-term president make him a one-term president.
Self-Explanatory Bonus Quote: “Though [Karl] Rove’s promised ‘permanent Republican majority’ lies in humiliating ruins, his and [George] Bush’s one secure legacy will be their demagogic exploitation of homophobia. The success of the four state initiatives banning either same-sex marriage or same-sex adoptions was the sole retro trend on Tuesday,” wrote op-ed columnist Frank Rich in a piece for The New York Times.