Coldplay Continues Its Hot Streak on Stage

Brandon Wong | Staff Photographer

Brandon Wong | Staff Photographer
Dressed in French Revolution peasant garb, Coldplay’s Chris Martin begs for mercy before a sell-out crowd.

Overblown stage? Check. Melodic, atmospheric and sing-along numbers? Check. Two-hour rock spectacular? Definitely check. Coldplay in concert? Worth every painful penny.
With richly coordinated neon-colored lights, decadent milky orbs serving as secondary video screens and a gigantic screen serving as a backdrop, the concert was filled with a crowd whose enthusiasm was radiating off the walls in the Honda Center for three and a half hours. The backdrop screen first projected the cover of its latest album, while later displaying abstract images and real-time footage of the band performing while the hanging orbs rotated and hypnotized the audience. Lights of every color, piercing in all directions, kept the eyes darting while loud bass and guitar kept the eardrums humming.
A sight more meaningful than the stage itself was the shadow of fans’ arms held high in the air along with large masses of bodies swaying back and forth. The energy was set long before Coldplay came on, as Sleeper Car and DJ John Hopkins opened the show with electronica-like sounds and beats that had the arena feeling like an exclusive European nightclub.
However, the vibe intensified throughout the night, as Coldplay carried the show with grandeur. With the sold-out crowd singing along filling in the “yeahs” of “In My Place” and the “ohh oo ohhhs” of “Viva La Vida,” it is no surprise that Chris Martin was jumping, falling and spinning at all corners of the stage. The band then moved to a brightly lit platform in the middle of the floor to play its rock ‘n’ roll version of “Talk” and “God Put a Smile Upon Your Face.”
The band then moved to the back of the arena, in between rows of fans, to play acoustic versions of “Lost!,” “The Scientist” and “Death Will Never Conquer.” As the arena envied the two rows surrounding Coldplay, Martin compassionately explained, “We thought it’d be nice to be next to our fans since we won’t be in California for a while.”
Although Martin stole the show with piano playing, guitar playing and singing, the band as a whole must receive credit. Drummer Will Champion performed lead vocals on “Death Will Never Conquer” as Martin stepped back and made the harmonica hum. The combination of harmonizing vocals from the bass player, drummer and lead singer with the instrumental skills of all four members put the show at a level that most bands cannot reach.
Not only is the band talented, they’re comedic as well. As Martin stepped onto the platform alone to play the soulful number “The Hardest Part,” from its album “X & Y,” the audience was given a very revealing account of a Jonas Brothers and Coldplay confrontation.
Meeting the Jonas Brothers two days prior at the American Music Awards, Martin said, “Never before have I felt like an old man with no talent whatsoever.”
He took his affection a step further by inserting, “Those Jonas boys are so much younger than me” into his track.
Then, in the middle of the song, a missed note prompted him to yell “Fuck!” and the crowd doubled over in laughter, and appreciated Coldplay even more for its real and humble qualities.
A question that always pops into every showgoer’s mind is, “Which songs will they play?” The best show is one with diversity, arranged randomness and a combination of mellow and energetic vibes.
Although this is difficult to accomplish, Coldplay breezed through. Not only was there an abundant amount of songs from its newest album “Viva La Vida or Death to All His Friends,” but the band managed to play tracks from “Parachutes,” “X & Y” and “A Rush of Blood to the Head.”
Above all, and despite critics’ complaints, Coldplay knows how to rock. The band performed beautifully, jammed out with intensity and maintained the energy of each individual who paid more than $90 for a ticket.
Hits like “Lost!” and “The Scientist” disputed its “mellow” reputation while songs like “Yellow” and “Clocks” were played faster and louder, keeping fans jumping, swaying and sweating. There’s no doubt that Coldplay delivers in every sense of the word.