251

UCI Parking and Transportation Awarded for Conservation
UC Irvine Parking and Transportation Services was awarded the 2008 Governor’s Environmental and Economic Leadership Award on Nov. 25 for exceptional leadership and notable contributions in conserving resources and enhancing the environment.
Administered by the California Environmental Protection Agency and Resources Agency, the award is the highest environmental honor in the state of California.
UCI’s fluorescent lighting for parking structures, carpool initiatives, biodiesel-powered shuttles and improved pathways for biking and walking have all contributed to earning the award.
A 2006 census identified UCI had the highest of riders-per-vehicle ratio of similar institutions at 1.87.
UCI programs have helped reduce greenhouse gas by 18,600 tons and vehicle fuel and construction costs by $21 million. The programs have saved an estimated 39 million miles of driving per year.

Weight Gain Related to Holiday Season
The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) and the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) report that less than 10 percent of individuals gain more than five pounds during the holiday season. Approximately 90 percent will gain more than five pounds; and five percent of the ten who do not gain weight are already classified as overweight or obese.
With around two-thirds of American adults already overweight, and around one-third already obese, as per research done by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), holiday weight is not a welcome phenomenon.
NIH research shows that even if individuals try to work off the usual 5-7 pounds of abundant holiday sweets, they will retain at least one pound each year.