Tough Week for Lady Anteaters

Drew McCarroll | Staff Photographer
Drew McCarroll | Staff Photographer
Freshman Kiara Belen fights off two UCSB defenders in Thursday night’s loss to the Gauchos at the Bren.
UCSB 50 UCI 38
The UC Santa Barbara women’s basketball team was able to add another tally on their winning streak against UC Irvine with a 50-38 victory. UCI has not beaten the Gauchos since February of 2006. This was the 10th consecutive loss the Anteaters suffered this season, pushing their record to 3-12.
UCI struggled to execute its offense under the tough Gaucho defense throughout the game. As a result, UCI was held to just 38 points in the game, a season low.
The Anteaters started well, however, with an 8-0 run in the beginning of the first half. They maintained the lead halfway through the first half until Santa Barbara came back. The Gauchos answered with a 13-2 run and took a one-point lead, 16-17, with a three from Lauren Pedersen.
“We came out full of energy, and I think they underestimated us at first. Once they realized we came out to play they really smelled the coffee and stepped their game up,” said junior guard Rebecca Maessen.
The Anteaters held tight with the Gauchos throughout the rest of the half, neither team holding a lead more than one point.
The second half, however, was a different story. The Gauchos started the half with a 6-0 run, and from there on it was all downhill for the Anteaters. In the first 10 minutes of the second half, the Anteaters were held to just five points.
“We have had problems with our offense all season long. Their defense was good, but really we just had problems executing,” said Coach Molly Goodenbour.
Mary Has hit a jumper that put the Anteaters within six points of the Gauchos, but that’s as good as it got.
The Anteaters continued to fail to execute on the offensive end, and the Gauchos pulled away once again. The Anteaters never recovered and went on to lose with a final score of 50-38.
“We needed to get our post players involved; we didn’t do that and it hurt us. Of course it wasn’t easy with Santa Barbara’s great post line-up,” Maessen said.
The Anteaters failed to score a single point from the paint in the first half. The Gauchos outscored the Anteaters in paint 20-6 over the course of the entire game.
“Sometimes you just have to give credit to the other team. They came out, played great defense and executed very well. You have to give credit where credit is due,” Coach Goodenbour said.
The Anteaters were led by Has and Maessen, who scored 31 of the Anteater’s 38 points. Only two other Anteaters were able to get on the scoreboard. The Anteater bench was outscored 21-0 by the Gauchos.
Despite the loss, however, Goodenbour was happy with the Anteater performance against a good Gaucho team.
“Overall I was pleased with my girls’ performance. We came out with a lot of energy and we played with high intensity even against a good team. If we played with that intensity every game we wouldn’t be sitting on a 3-12 record,” Goodenbour said.

Cal Poly 54 UCI 49
A late comeback push from the Lady Anteaters was not enough as UCI fell to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo 54-49 on Saturday at the Bren Events Center.
UC Irvine rallied with two minutes left as they scored five unanswered points to cut the Mustang lead to one at 50-49. However, the Anteaters turned the ball over on their next posession and were forced to foul as Mary Has missed a shot with 13 seconds left in the game.
However, UCI did play a valiant first half. After failing to score in the first 11:40 of the game, UCI rallied to cut the Cal Poly lead to 20-18 on a Kelly Cochran layup with 1:16 remaining in the first half. Senior Kirian Ishizaki and juniors Has and Keyonna Johnson each scored 11 points. Has also had nine rebounds and five assists for the game.
UCI tied their season-high with 43 rebounds, and only committed 13 turnovers.
In other bright notes, UCI held the second highest scoring offense in the Big West to 54 points. The Mustangs averaged 67.7 points a game going into Saturdays match.