140

Douchebag of the Week: “‘Contempt is the emotion we feel for an opponent whose arguments are too formidable to refute.’ That is why they try to create an atmosphere of contempt. And I become this week’s Emanuel Goldstein because I am defending timeless moral principles,” said media pundit Ann Coulter on “The O’Reilly Factor.” Defending her negative stance on single mothers, which has garnered Coulter criticism from such hardball players as the hosts of “The View,” Coulter’s appearance was representative of what has become the key functions of right-wing pundits: needless whining and self-praise. Coulter obnoxiously put herself in the role of the victim by quoting American writer Ambrose Bierce and comparing herself to a character from “1984,” which was made only worse by the fact that she was on Bill O’Reilly’s show. But O’Reilly’s softball questions and agreeable attitude toward Coulter are expected from such a notoriously biased interviewer. What a pinhead.
Standing Up and Backing Down: “This a terrific book, the next time you write one you have to get all this stuff cleared up about me,” said former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee in regard to Ann Coulter’s new book “Guilty: Liberal ‘Victims’ and Their Assault on America” during an interview with her. Yes, Coulter’s promotional tour was not limited to simply “The View” and “The O’Reilly Factor,” making it increasingly difficult to turn the other cheek. However, unlike the hosts of “The View,” who appeared to fall all over themselves in attacking Coulter, and O’Reilly who offered a complete schmooze fest, Huckabee at least attempted to have some integrity. Citing her attacks against him while at the same time explaining his reasoning for supporting her book, Huckabee showed that the only insane thing about him was that he believed he would make a credible president. And his stance on evolution. And his stance on immigration. And his … okay so maybe there’s a lot of insane things about Mike Huckabee.
Russia’s Got Gas: “Unfortunately, all our best efforts to find a solution have not brought results, and many living in European countries still have no heat,” said Russian President Dmitry Medvedev after gas talks between Russia and Ukraine failed to reach a conclusion. Russia is currently aiming to reopen pipelines that run through Ukraine and extend to other European countries. Despite Medvedev’s blatant inefficiency in resolving this conflict, at least he is not drawing back to his country’s recent political lines of defense, such as military invasion and scape-goating the United States.
Humor Free Europe: “We knew the truth would come out … But before that we wanted to find out if Europe is able to laugh at itself,” said Czech artist David Cerny before being met with a resounding “No.” Cerny was commissioned to create an art installation celebrating the various countries of Europe. Instead, Cerny poked fun at different European stereotypes. For instance, Romania appears to be a vampire-ridden park, while Bulgaria resembles a gigantic toilet bowl. With the Czech Republic recently gaining the presidency of the European Union, it looks like flattery is not on the Czech agenda.