Preview of the Upcoming Week

Men’s Basketball
Who: Men’s basketball vs. Cal State Bakersfeild
Where: Bren Events Center
When: Wednesday, Jan. 21
Look Ahead: The UC Irvine basketball team showed fortitude and heart in there win against the University of the Pacific and in the heartbreaking loss to UC Davis last week.
Junior Michael Hunter found his stroke late in the game against UCD. He hadn’t been shootnig well at home all season, and Wednesday’s game is a great oppurunity for him to find establish his stroke even more in this non-conference matchup.
Other players like Derrik Strings, Patrick Rembert and Zack Atkinson can benefit from more playing time and show why the deserve more minutes.
You don’t have to watch the two-hour recap episode for “Lost.” The game begins at 7 p.m. and should be done before the anticipated season premier.
More importantly, make it an awesome night by watching UCI men’s basketball dominate as well.

Swimming and Diving
Who: UC Irvine Swimming and Diving
What: Meet against California Baptists University and UC San Diego
Where: Anteater Aquatics Complex
When: Saturday, January 24th at 12 p.m.
Look Ahead: The Swimming and Diving team has won this event for the last three years and is planning on the “four-pete” at Saturdays meet. This will be an important event for the older swimmer’s and diver’s as it will be the last home meet of the season.
A few notable seniors will be attempting to continue their dominance from the team’s last meet, the UCI/Ayres Hotel invitational.
Randal Tom won four events at the last meet to add to the swim team’s very impressive 10 relay wins.
Tom also finished ninth in the 100 fly at the NCAA championships in 2007 to go along with his Big West Athlete of the Year award.
Other fantastic seniors that will be competing for the last time at home are Will Wollam, Nate Rogers, Chris Nguyen, Blaine Fletcher and David Lefstein.

Men’s Volleyball
Who: Men’s Volleyball Team
Where: Crawford Hall, UCI
When: Wednesday, January 21 at 7 p.m.
Look Ahead: The men’s volleyball team has opened its league play with one win and one loss. The start has had some ups and downs as far as productivity but a league game against low-ranked UC Sand Diego on Wednesday should be a good game to get any rough edges smoothed out.
The Tritons lost their first match against Long Beach State who Irvine has already beat in a pre-season match.
The squad has had a tremendous amount of productivity out of its stand out hitter, red-shirt freshman Carson Clark. He has had a total of 48 kills in the first two matches of the season and shows no signs of slowing.
This match comes before the team travels to Long Beach State on Friday and should prove to be a very good warm-up.