Travis Barker and DJ AM to Take the Bren

241
241

One was the backbone of a band obsessed with songs about fecal matter and having sexual relations with mothers. The other was also in the shadows, and scratched away at his group’s only hit that begged females to be its butterfly, sugar or baby. Somehow the two crossed paths, and drummer Travis Barker (Blink 182, +44) and Adam Goldstein, better known as DJ AM (Crazy Town) combined to mix their own versions of hip-hop and rock ballads that have gained the attention of everyone from the Super Bowl to double-platinum recording artist The Game.
Barker and DJ AM are headlining this year’s homecoming festivities with their first concert together since their plane crash last September. The duo, along with Too $hort, Kid Cudi, LMFAO and Alchemist will take over the Bren Events Center on Feb. 24 for one of the biggest concerts the university has ever hosted.
ASUCI officials were interested in the unprecedented line-up of talent.
“It’s something we’ve never done before,” said Student Services Vice President of ASUCI Tiffany Go. “It’s so exciting to put on an event that so many people want to go to.”
Being a large commuter school and having no football team, UC Irvine has had its difficulty in maintaining a unique and repeatable experience for homecoming without a big game. Alex Kushner, programs coordinator for ASUCI, hopes that this year’s event will foster tradition.
“It’s a great opportunity to build spirit. We’re really trying to incorporate everyone and appeal to everyone,” Kushner said.
Starting on Monday Feb. 23, there will be an academic day celebrating the different schools on campus, a diversity awareness day, a day for the Greeks and even an obstacle course for the homecoming court where students can watch their fellow classmates in a test of strength and mind.
ASUCI has also teamed up with a production company to help with the show, and so students will be charged to get in. The success of this concert may determine how the concert commission and student services produce shows in the future.
“We are doing this as a trial run. It’s a challenge with the budget we have and we’ll see if it can work,” Kusher said.
The concert celebrates not only the homecoming of Anteaters, but also one for Barker. A Fontana native, he’s exited to perform in Southern California. Barker and DJ AM sustained severe burns and injuries in the plane crash that left four dead. This will be their first concert together since the accident.
Last October’s Shocktoberfest featured local musician Matt Costa and hip-hop artists Three 6 Mafia. Nearly 6,000 people were recorded in attendance. With such big acts for the concert, Kushner hopes that this will be a turning point for campus events at UCI.
“This is going to be a true spectacle. These artists are so popular within the industry, who knows who will show up,” Kushner said.
Tickets for the concert will be sold at a discounted price for all UCI students at $42, with a limit at two tickets per student. Tickets go out on sale on Feb. 3. General admission will be from $65 to $155, so students are encouraged to get their tickets before the show is sold out.