Where Were You Sunday? I Was Celebrating Like a True American

The holidays. Food, gifts, presents, friends and family and if you are a part of the lucky majority, you get a day off to go along with it. So why is it that on Monday Feb. 2, the day after the greatest day of the year, I have a midterm for an Anthropology class?
Because the country has done a disservice to its loyal patriots. The powers that be have yet to recognize the greatest day in American sports as a National Holiday — the Super Bowl. But I think America, itself, and the good people in it have done so emotionally and spiritually. However, if it were to get that extra sign of approval from the government, the day would be that much better.
I am preparing a proposal to make Super Bowl Sunday a national holiday.
Now before you say I am an idiot, hear me out. You may want to help the movement after all.
Super Bowl Sunday has the potential to be the best American holiday of the year for a few different reasons. First, it carries the total package of what America represents: great athletes, great TV, commercials geared toward consumerism, mounds of fatty foods, parties, camaraderie, celebration, depression and a good nap. With all of those elements clicking on all cylinders, you cannot deny that the essence of America is wrapped up in this beautiful day.
Second, it would not step on any of the other big holidays’ toes. Nothing we celebrate even comes close to this in comparison and therefore it would be a whole new celebration that everyone could partake in. That also leads to the fact that Super Bowl Sunday is not (fully) a religious celebration. Don’t get me wrong, some of those corn-fed families in the Midwest take their football very seriously and do actually treat football as religion. But the idea of celebrating a Super Bowl Sunday does not insult anyone’s religion, which makes it something everyone can partake in. It is similar to how all of America celebrates Thanksgiving, without the whole history thing getting in the way.
The Super Bowl makes so many people across the country happy. It’s simply a fact.
So what about the people that do not particularly enjoy football? I have a solution that will fit for everyone: include a day off the Monday after the Super Bowl. Watch how this unfolds. People that are not interested in watching the game will not snicker at the idea of it becoming a national holiday because it means a three-day weekend for them. Also, the prospect of Super Bowl Monday off means recuperation time for those football fans that overboard on the betting or alcohol. It works out for everybody.
And that is how a holiday should be, based on entertainment and days off of work. That is where a real celebration will happen. And with last year’s Super Bowl becoming the second most watched TV program in American history, it is sure to bring even more people to the game thus bringing more people together.
That is called a holiday. We only spend one afternoon celebrating the most important single day of sports in America when it should be much more. Look at the rest of the world and how they celebrate their sporting events. In Italy, shop owners take every night off when there is a soccer game at home. In fact, look at how the entire world treats the day of the World Cup. It shuts down.
Why not us?
If baseball had a World Championship Day and not series, I would be calling for that to be our sports national holiday because it is our original American past-time. But it is a series, along with all of our most popular sports. Therefore we need to celebrate our biggest past-time and put that holiday stamp on this special day.
I am hoping you had a good time on Sunday with the Super Bowl, but ask yourself, how many similarities to another holiday like, Thanksgiving or even Veteran’s Day were there.
Exactly. There are tons, and I think it is time to act on that fact. I declare Super Bowl Sunday a National Holiday.
With this last Sunday going down as a huge success, I think my proposition should be enacted as soon as possible. Because if there is one thing that made this past sunday almost a bust, was that I still had to study after it.