UCI Center Appreciates Postdoctoral Scholars
UC Irvine’s newly established Center for Graduate and Professional Students and Postdoctoral Scholars has designated February as “Postdoc Appreciation Month.”
Around 350 postdoctoral scholars in labs across the campus are dedicated to studies varying from protein strands to outer space research. Most have recently received their doctorates and are preparing to become researchers and teachers in their desired fields. Until then, they continue to provide full-time support for faculty-led research projects and often serve as mentors for undergraduate and graduate research projects.
Spanning the entire range of educational backgrounds, 60 percent of UCI postdocs are hired from abroad and work for three years with top researchers on campus before moving on to universities or private sector careers.

UCI Medical Center Appoints Temporary Chief Executive
Terry A. Belmont will take over current Chief Executive Maureen Zehnter’s position at the Orange teaching hospital run by UC Irvine.
Chief executive of the Long Beach Memorial Medical Center and the Miller Children’s Hospital since 2006, Belmont will assume his position as interim chief executive in March and is likely to run for the permanent chief executive position at UCI Medical Center. The center is currently searching nationwide for a top executive.
Dr. David N. Bailey, UCI’s first vice chancellor for health affairs, also announced on Thursday Feb. 5 that he will retire this July due to lack of faculty support regarding increased financial accountability.