Baseball Back to Winning Ways

UCI 5 Hawaii 1: Friday Night Result
Any doubts about the loss of Scott Gorgen and Bryce Stowell were erased as junior Daniel Bibona nearly threw a no-hitter in the season opener at the University of Hawaii on Friday night in Honolulu.
Bibona pitched 7.2 innings, struck out eight and only walked one batter. He gave up his first hit to Hawaii’s designated hitter Jeffrey Van Doornum, a single to center, at the top of the seventh inning. He induced the second double play of the game for the Anteaters right after as he got Kevin Macdonald to ground to shortstop Ben Orloff. He walked the ensuing batter, Chase Koissian, on four pitches and then handed the ball over to reliever Matt Dufour. DuFour allowed an RBI double to Landon Hernandez as the run was charged to Bibona. He would strike out the next batter to end the eight inning.
Center fielder Sean Madigan started the scoring as he doubled in Casey Stevenson at the top of the third inning. Madigan would then score on a wild pitch to put the Anteaters up 2-0.
UCI would go up 4-0 after Dillon Bell and Francis Larson would single in a pair of runs.
Larson and Bell would be at it again in the eighth inning, as Larson doubled in Bell after he stole second following a hit by pitch.
The ‘Eaters totaled eight hits to aid Bibona’s stellar performance. Orloff made a couple spectacular plays at short to record outs at first, and to turn two double plays. Madigan snagged two deep outs in center and Bell made a tremendous catch on the warning track while running full-speed. While Bibona did it with his arm early, he struck out four in the first two innings including the side in the first; the defense behind him carried his no-hitter to as far as it went.
Larson was two for four with two RBIs, and Ryan Fisher registered two hits of his own. DuFour finished the night with one strikeout in 1.1 innings of one-hit relief.

UCI 5 Hawaii 4: Saturday Double-header, Game 1
After Daniel Bibona flirted with a no-hitter on Friday night, junior catcher Francis Larson did some flirting of his own. He came up just a single short of hitting for the cycle on Saturday as his three hits and two RBIs helped UCI top Hawaii 5-4 in the first game of the double header on Saturday, the second game of the four game series.
Designated hitter Ryan Fisher drove in a pair of runs to contribute to a four-run first inning by the Anteaters.
Junior Christian Bergman took the mound for the Anteaters and pitched eight solid innings. He allowed one earned run (four unearned) as he walked and struck out only one.
UCI jumped out to an early four- run first inning lead on Hawaii starting pitcher Nate Klein. Sean Madigan and Jeff Cusick drew walks to put runners on first and second. Dillon Bell then singled to bring Madigan home. Larson then lasered an RBI double to right to score Cusick. Ryan Fisher would then step up to register a two-run single to the right to put the ‘Eaters up.
Larson would launch the game winner in the third inning with a solo home run over the left-field fence. Larson would later stroke a lead-off triple in the sixth, but would be out on a double play after Fisher flew out.
All-American closer Eric Pettis closed the game out after Bergman allowed a two-run homer to Hawaii’s Christian Johnson in the eighth inning to bring the game to within one at 5-4. Fortunately, Pettis took care of business and shut down the ninth for his first save of the season and the second Anteater victory.

UCI 5 Hawaii 4: Saturday Double-header Game 2
An old face in a new position and a completely new face stepped up for the Anteaters in the second game of Saturday’s double header to lead UCI to another 5-4 victory over Hawaii.
Senior Brock Bardeen pitched 2.1 innings in relief, struck out two, allowed one earned run and got the decision in his pitching debut. Freshman DJ Crumlich made his debut at third base in place of Eric Deragish and went one for two with two RBIs. Sean Madigan, Dillon Bell and Sammy Donabedien each contributed with an RBI in the win.
Sophomore Crosby Slaught got the starting nod for the Anteaters. He allowed Hawaii to score three earned runs, but shut them down over the next two innings. UCI responded with three runs of its own in the second inning on a string of singles from Tony Asaro, Crumlich, Madigan and Donabedian. Donabedian took over catcher duties for Francis Larson.
In the fourth inning, Bardeen came in to bail the Anteaters out of a bases-loaded situation by making a Warrior hitter groundout to third.
In the fifth inning, Ben Orloff would draw a walk and eventually score his first run of the season, courtesy of a come-backer from Bell.
Hawaii would tack on another score in the fifth to trim the Anteater lead to one 5-4. However, neither offense would strike again as Eric Pettis came in and recorded his second save of the day.
UCI improved to 3-0 with the win.

Hawaii 7 UCI 4: Sunday Afternoon Result
Hawaii exposed UCI’s weakness in the fourth game of the weekend series by handling the UCI bullpen seven runs in their 7-4 victory.
Nick Hoover allowed five earned runs in 2.1 innings as the starter.
Francis Larson tallied on another RBI for the Anteaters, and both Ryan Fisher and Eric Deragish recorded RBIs in the ninth.