Thursday, April 25, 2024
HomeSportsSports Recaps and Previews

Sports Recaps and Previews

Women’s Basketball: UCI 55 CSUN 51
The UC Irvine women’s basketball team had a redeeming week as it faced a struggling California State University, Northridge. With just six minutes remaining in the game, Irvine found itself 7 points behind the streaky Matadors at 40-47. However, the ‘Eaters turned up the intensity and went on a 15-4 run that put them ahead 55-51, with just over a minute to go in the game. As the last seconds approached, CSUN was persistent in regaining the lead but were bested by the clutch free throws down the stretch on the part of UCI.
This was a much-needed win for the Anteaters, who improve to 6-20 overall and 3-10 in Big West play. It has thus far been a disappointing season for the squad but this win may be what the players need to put together a few more wins and get as close to .500 as possible before the end of the season. However, with a tough two-game set this week, it will be difficult for the struggling Anteaters to completely turn everything around.
The one thing that makes this complete turnaround a possibility is the fact that shooting guard Rebecca Maessen continues to improve on her impressive season. She put together her best performance of the year with 26 points, 21 of which came in the second half. She has been a standout this year and with her in the lineup, anything is possible for the Anteaters.

Sailing
The UC Irvine sailing team put in a solid performance at the Pacific Coast Collegiate Sailing Conference South Series 4 in Santa Barbara on Feb. 19. The sailors pulled around two teams that finished in an impressive third and fourth place. In the B division, Ashley Simpson and Blair Johnston finished in second, while Chris Humphreys and Martha Davis placed fourth in the A division from the junior varsity squad. On the varsity side, Jack Porter and Ryan Moore smoothly placed third in the A division, while Reid Vittarelli and Frank O’Brien finished off the competition in fifth place.
Last week’s Athletic Department Player of the Week was freshman sailor Brian Hoover, who led the Irvine team to a first-place finish in B division racing at the Pacific Coast Collegiate Sailing Conference South Series 3. The impressive finish by Hoover and the team helped the program finish second overall at the competition in Santa Barbara.

Ninth-Ranked UCI vs. First-Ranked Texas A&M
The UC Irvine baseball team will travel to Minute Maid Park in Houston for the Houston Classic. UCI will take a shot at the number one ranked team in the nation in Texas A&M Friday. Daniel Bibona will be coming off of one hit performance to take on the Aggies.
After taking on Houston on Saturday, UCI will go head to head against 12-ranked UCLA. Listen up on KUCI radio.