298

Track and Field
The first meet of the season for the Track and Field program was the first glimpse at some of the great athletes UC Irvine puts in day in and day out on the Anteater Stadium track.
One such great athlete is junior Lauren Collins, who jump-started her season on Saturday as she broke her school record in the high-jump. Collins beat out every other jumper in the competition with her jump of 6 feet even. This record beat out her previous best mark of 5-11 1/4 feet set in 2007. But Collins would not settle for just the high jump win. She also added to her weekend with a win in the long jump competition on a 19-foot long jump.
However, Collins was not the only winner that day for Irvine. Freshman Sanmisola George won both the 100 meters and 200 meters.
Other Anteaters that won events on the day were Golde Ibia, Alisha Misiaita and Jenny Lee.

Women’s Water Polo
The 10th-ranked Anteaters traveled to San Diego State on Saturday to face the fifth-ranked Aztecs and did not disappoint. In an overtime victory at the Aquaplex, Irvine narrowly edged out the strong opponents 14-13.
It came down to the wire in overtime with Cortney Collier putting away the game winner with only 31 seconds to go in the second overtime period.
The scoring for the Anteaters spanned much of the lineup with seven different players putting the ball in the back of the net. Cortney Collyer put away 3 goals, Caitlin Haskell smoothed in 3, Gianna Rossi threw in 3, Ashling Taylor flew in 2, Julia Fancher hammered in 1 and Kat Plummer put in a timely goal to help the Anteaters improve their record to 10-4 on the year.

Men’s Tennis
The UC Irvine men’s tennis team upset 61st-ranked UC Santa Barbara 6-1 on the road Friday. With the win, UCI improved to 2-6 overall and 1-0 in Big West Conference play.
Sophomore Gautam Vaidyanathan and freshman Steven Henderson kept the Gauchos from sweeping the doubles points defeating UCSB 8-6 in the third match.
UCI dominated singles by winning all six matches. Senior Wes Miller defeated Alex Konigsfeldt 6-4, 6-3 in the first match. Henderson out-battled Max Taylor 7-6, 7-6 in a close second match.
Freshman Fabian Mathews defeated Scott Hohenstein 6-3, 6-3 in the third match. Thailand import Khunpol Issara dominated Josh Finkelstein 6-3, 6-2 in the fourth match and Stephen Stege won the fifth match 6-4, 6-2.
Freshman Sam Gould from New Zealand completed the sweep for the Anteaters with a tough 7-6, 6-4 sixth match victory over the Gauchos’ Devin Nerenberg.

Women’s Tennis
After taking down Louisiana Lafayette 6-1 on Wednesday at home, the 60th-ranked UC Irvine women’s tennis team upset 35th-ranked Sacramento State 5-2 at Anteater Stadium on Friday.
The Lady ‘Eaters improved to 8-2 overall and 4-0 in conference.
The Hornets took two of three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. Senior Heidi Kaloi and freshman Stephanie Hammel defeated Milica Zivanovic and Melissa Valenzuela 8-4 in the first doubles match.
UCI would tie the score at one apiece as Hammel quickly took care of Aileen Tsan 6-0, 6-1 in the first match.
Clare Fermin would put the Anteaters up 2-1 as Joyce Martinez retired early in the second set. Fermin won the first set 6-3. Sophomore Brook Barlett won the No. 2 match 6-3, 6-3 against Luba Shifiris. Kaloi would clinch the win by defeating Zivanovic yet again 6-4, 6-3 in the sixth match.