File Photo
File Photo
The Anteater women’s swimming and diving team finished fifth on Saturday as the men finished third.
The UC Irvine swimming and diving program jumped into the final meet of the season as a slight underdog.
It was a rough start from day one, but in true Anteater fashion, both the men’s and women’s program put their heads down and swam their way back in the mix.
Much of this run is attributed to the swimming and diving of senior Randal Tom, sophomore Miles Smith, senior Will Wollam and junior women’s diver Melanie Grosvenor.
Over the course of the four-day competition, our Anteaters swam their hearts out. Here is how it went down.

Day 1

The men’s 200 medley relay narrowly missed winning the event as it finished with a time of 1:27.81, which was 0.14 seconds behind UC Santa Barbara’s winning time.

Day 2

The Anteater men won the 400 medley relay with an NCAA “B” cut time of 3:12.82. Senior Randall Tom (Wailuku, Hawaii/Seabury Hall), junior Chris Rosales (Diamond Bar/Valencia High School), senior Will Wollam (Riverside/Rubidoux High School) and sophomore Garrett Thompson (Stockton/Lincoln High School) were the four members of the relay. Tom had UCI’s best individual finish of the day as he took second in the 200 IM with a “B” cut time of 1:46.52. Both Tom and winner Scott Weltz of UC Davis swam faster than the previous meet record.
On the women’s side, UCI swept the top three places in the one-meter diving competition. Junior Melanie Grosvenor (Mission Viejo High School) was the winner with a score of 267.85. Freshmen Carissa Lewis (San Clemente High School) and Taylor Arth (San Clemente High School) took second and third with scores of 265.85 and 249.25, respectively.

Day 3

Senior Randal Tom won the 100 fly with an NCAA automatic qualifying time of 45.73. Tom’s Big West and UCI’s record time is the fifth fastest in the country this season. Junior Rosales touched the wall at the exact same moment as Jeff Sudbury of UCSB to tie for Big West title in the 100 breast with a time of 54.76. Sophomore diver Miles Smith (Carmichael/Capital Christian High School) won the three-meter diving competition with a score of 318.15.
On the women’s side, junior Jessica Schlitz took fourth in the 100 fly with a time of 54.83.

Day 4

The last day of competition was more of the same for Tom who completed his week as one of the best swimmers in the conference. He won the 200 fly with UCI and Big West record time of 1:43.63. Rosales finished in a respectable second place in the 200 breast with a time of 1:59.14, while Wollam concluded his weekend with a second place finish in the 43.93 in the incredibly competitive 100 free.
On the diving side, Smith finished with a sweep, winning at the one-meter distance with a score of 323.45. Eric Nugent finished right behind Smith in the one-meter with a score of 278.50.
The biggest performer throughout the competition on the women’s side was no different on the last day. Grosvenor completed the sweep on the diving competition, winning at three-meters with a total score of 277.60.