Relax, You Didn’t Miss Mickey Avalon

If you feared missing Mickey Avalon over spring break, don’t worry: ASUCI’s Spring Break Fest featuring Mickey Avalon was postponed early spring break from its original date on Friday, Mar. 27 to Thursday, Apr. 23.

“We moved the concert because there was a student demand not to have the concert on the Friday of spring break,” said Tiffany Go, student services vice president for ASUCI. “In addition, we moved it to be able to donate ticket sales directly to the philanthropy of the Greek Songfest.”

Students should be able to buy tickets around week two of spring quarter, Go stated.

“Right now, the confirmed guests [for that concert] are Mickey Avalon and Dirt Nasty,” Go said.

This concert will be the first that ASUCI has worked on with Solid Gold Entertainment, a Costa Mesa-based entertainment agency that “specializes in concert bookings and concert productions,” according to its Web site.

The delays and rescheduling of the Mickey Avalon concert has “been a learning experience” according to Go, but the labor has been for UC Irvine students’ benefit.

“We’ve been [working with Solid Gold Entertainment] to bring bigger names to UCI with a smaller budget,” Go said.

To Go’s knowledge, this is the first year that ASUCI has used an entertainment agency. The entertainment for Shocktoberfest, including Three 6 Mafia and Matt Costa, was booked by ASUCI directly.

“The way the partnership works, we take care of the marketing [for the concert] and they take care of everything else,” Go said.

Due to various circumstances, the Travis Barker and DJ AM concert coordinated by ASUCI was postponed indefinitely in mid-February, and ASUCI has not yet secured Barker or AM for another concert.

“Right now, we’re focused on Mickey Avalon,” Go said. “We have plans but nothing solid.”

ASUCI is currently planning for annual favorites Wayzgoose and Reggaefest. Although no performers have been secured for Reggaefest, ASUCI has contracted Tyrone Wells and Anthony Green, former vocalist of Saosin.

“There’s been a lot of questions about these concerts,” Go said. “We hope students understand … that the process for [securing entertainment] is kind of wishy-washy and uncertain, but we’re really trying to improve student life with these concerts.”