News In Brief

Greek Carnival on Ring Road Raises Funds for Philanthropic Causes

Kappa Sigma Fraternity and Alpha Chi Omega Sorority joined together to put on “Le Carnival,” a campus-wide carnival in support of local philanthropic causes. These included Human Options, a local domestic violence shelter, and Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) Cancer Research Program at the Chao Comprehensive Cancer Center on April 3.

The event raised over $2,000 for the organizations, helping to provide support for victims of domestic violence and improve research and treatment options for young adults diagnosed with cancer.

Over 15 different UC Irvine fraternities and sororities participated by setting up game booths. Vendors in support of the cause made donations and finally, the groups held a clothing and canned food drive directly to the benefit of Human Options.

“This one was probably the best philanthropy so far since we were able to involve so many other people on campus – it’s hard to avoid a giant carnival on campus,” said Melissa Norrbom, a fourth-year criminology law and society major and member of Alpha Chi Omega.

Former UCI Professor’s Family Establishes Scholarship

The family of former UC Irvine professor Lindon Barrett, in partnership with the Canadian based Winnipeg Foundation, has established the Lindon Barrett Scholarship Fund in his honor.

The Lindon Barrett Fund will provide annual academic awards at Murdoch McKay Collegiate in Winnipeg, Canada for graduating students who show promise and share Barrett’s love of learning as they pursue post-secondary education. Barrett graduated from Murdoch McKay before pursuing post-secondary education at the University of Manitoba, a bachelor’s degree from York University, followed by his master’s from the University of Denver and finally his Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania.

Barrett left his position as Director of African-American Studies at UCI to teach at UC Riverside in 2007. Barrett was murdered in his apartment on July 13, 2008, by an acquaintance, 21-year-old Marlon Martinez.