The Week That Was

Men’s Golf

The UC Irvine men’s golf team won the 29th annual Anteater Invitational by 18 strokes Tuesday at the El Niguel Country Club in Laguna Niguel, California.

UCI finished with a 54-hole total of 875. The University of Texas El Paso came in second at 893 and California State University Northridge at 896 was third. These teams were the top three finishers in the 10-team competition.

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo’s Geoff Gonzalez was atop the field shooting 4-under 212.

UCI junior John Chin shot a 75 Tuesday and was the runner-up at 2-under 214. Michael Im finished sixth at 223 tied with Sean Shahi. Meax Greil was 16th and Cean Hayashi was 20th.

It was UCI’s fourth top-five finish of the season, the previous coming in the Fresno State Lexus Classic, where the Anteaters finished tied for third place.

UCI will return to action on April 10 in the Thunderbird Invitation in Tempe, Arizona.

Women’s Water Polo
UCI 6 UCD 5

At the start of conference play, the UC Irvine women’s water polo team was ranked ninth in the Big West Conference after being ranked 12th in the pre-season. The team’s rise in the rankings has been due to its consistent scoring against top opponents, and this past week was no different.

The team traveled to UC Davis and hammered in a win against the 10th-ranked Aggies.

It was a game of early goals and late defense as Irvine went up 2-0 in the first four minutes of the game on goals by Gianna Rossi and Kat Plummer. But the Aggies would not go quietly, and they tied it up in the last minute of the first period, 2-2.

Later in the game, it was obvious the talent and experience of the Anteaters would outlast the Aggies.

Senior Julia Fancher scored goals to put her squad up by three at 6-3.

Irvine never looked back after that. Even with a push during the last period of the game, the Anteaters were able to hold UCD to two goals in the fourth period and win 6-5.

UCI 9-6 U of P

After the win against Davis on Saturday, the UC Irvine women’s water polo team headed out to Stockton, California to take on the University of Pacific. The trip was well worth it.

The Anteaters opened the game early once again on two different goals by Fancher and senior Sarah Frost.

Irvine carried its momentum into the second half of the game with four goals in the third period to go up 7-5.

But the Anteaters did not stop there. They put in two more goals by Rossi and junior Kat Plummer in the last period to go up 9-6, which remained the final score of the game.

Freshman keeper Morgan Vickers had three saves for Irvine.

This win improves the Anteaters’ record to 2-0 in league play and 17-8 overall.

The women’s water polo team will continue its season play on Saturday at Anteater Stadium.

Track and Field

Junior Alisha Misiaita broke her own school record last weekend at UCLA’s Drake Stadium with a shotput toss of 51-9. This mark surpassed her last school record of 50-8.

Junior Matt Lahti also put together a strong performance at last week’s 82nd Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays in Austin.

In the hammer throw event, Lahti launched a season-best 190-9 feet. This mark bested his last season-best mark by 4 inches.