Wayzgoose Cometh: Your Guide to Festivities

ASUCI will use solar power to operate the Wayzgoose stage and ban styrofoam products and balloons at the 48th annual festival on April 18. In collaboration with the Center for Service and Action, Student Services Vice President of ASUCI Tiffany Go recognized the need for UC Irvine’s oldest yearly tradition to get with the times and go green.

With more than 20 student organizations who plan to set up booths and sell food and drinks, Go asked groups to be aware of excessive portions and wasteful material. Also, according to Go, ASUCI has hired a company to sort through all the trash to ensure every recyclable material is not lost within the day’s trash.

ASUCI sought to put together a performance lineup synonymous to the day’s theme.

“I know we usually go with hip-hop, but [I] wanted to go with something more indie because it meshes well with the green theme,” Go said.

Anthony Green of Circa Survive will headline the Wayzgoose stage with a 45-minute acoustic set after pop-rock local outfit Tyrone Wells. Fresh from performing at the Bamboozle Left music festival in Irvine, UCI alum Andrew Capra will lead his band, Brave Citizens, to its first on-campus performance ever. The Sublime-inspired lyricist Thrasher and Antstock winner Moostache will also perform.

The “green” stage will alternate between these acts and performances by prominent student groups on campus. The winners of Vibe XIV, Chinese Association Dance Crew, along with Kaba Modern and Modern Completely Insane Anteaters will provide 10-minute dance sets. Spoken word group Uncultivated Rabbits is also set to make a rare appearance at this year’s festival.

One of the new attractions that Alex Kushner, ASUCI programs coordinator, has set for Saturday is a bike rodeo troupe known as Cyclecide from San Francisco to welcome guests entering Aldrich Park. Cyclecide is made up of “alter-bike mechanics, mariachi-punk musicians and psychotic clowns who love bikes, beer and building stuff,” according to its Web site, and is known for its appearances at music and art festivals across the country. The group builds carnival rides that a rider must power by pedaling on a bike. Cyclecide will bring the Dizzy Toy, where riders sit across from each other, strap in and spin themselves as fast as they can. Another ride, its version of a Ferris wheel, looks like a giant swing that brings the rider up and over the top bar.

Director of the Center of Service in Action Darlene Esparza is pleased that the green effort has expanded from a section of the park to its entire operation.

“Everyone is trying to do a little something,” Esparaza said of the collaboration of ASUCI and her organization. “Staying sustainable is an important message to send.”

The center will also unveil the winners of the second annual Pause for a Cause video competition. In early April, the Center of Service in Action judged videos about the effects of tobacco and the environment, in which they asked participants to also provide guidance for a friend trying to quit smoking. The winner will be announced on the Wayzgoose stage at 4:30 p.m.

Wayzgoose will also feature its annual medieval jousting attractions, the UCI Police Department’s Car Show on the Green and the UCI Alumni Association’s Beer Garden.