Wayzgoose: Getting Better With Age

Diane Jong | Staff Photographer

Diane Jong | Staff Photographer
Anthony Green of Circa Survive fame strums and croons to his hardcore fans on a picture perfect afternoon.

ASUCI kicked off its annual Wayzgoose Medieval Faire in Aldrich Park at 10 a.m. on Saturday. In collaboration with Celebrate UCI, Wayzgoose is an opportunity for incoming freshmen to get a taste of the many extracurricular activities the campus has to offer. The park remained packed throughout the day, which couldn’t have been better for a festival as there wasn’t a cloud in the sky.

The Irvine Police Department hosted its 11th annual car show, bringing in more than 50 cars on display. A highlight of the show was a 2005 PT Cruiser, Spider-man Edition, owned by Kevin Jarrett. The small car, named the “Spidey Cruiser,” was decked out with Spider-man paraphernalia down to the blue and red web pattern of the superhero’s costume. The dashboard had a red heart with the letter “F” inside, to commemorate Jarrett’s late wife, who enjoyed displaying the Cruiser at car shows with him for the past 20 years.

The Wayzgoose stage was the main attraction of the event. Dance groups including Kaba Modern, Bboys Anonymous and Chines Association Dance Crew, attracted large crowds. Open Jam and Uncultivated Rabbits provided visitors with a taste of the unique outlets of self-expression UC Irvine has to offer.

The first band to hit the stage was the Huntington Beach-based quartet, Moostache. With a pleased group of core fans clinging to the barricades, the group played several fast-paced numbers with a sound reminiscent of Cold War Kids with a summery twist. The second band, Thrasher, fresh from Los Angeles but with O.C. origins, persevered despite initial technical difficulties. The band played a high energy set in an admirable attempt to hype up the early crowd, with the lead singer frequently jumping off stage to mingle with fans. When asked to name its influences, the band explained, “Our sound is real diverse, a taste of Rage Against the Machine, Sublime, NERD and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.” Clearly having fun on stage, the band even enjoyed the unseasonably warm weather, joking, “All our music is Southern Californian, influenced by summer, so we got to make it hot.”

Brave Citizens was also a hit, entertaining the crowd in black jackets despite the heat. Soulful crooner Tyrone Wells was a late afternoon delight, playing crowd favorite “Wondering Where You Are,” and regaling fans with stories about Mathew McConaughey and plagiarism at an O.C. swap meet.

Due to the insistence of the crowd, Wells also demonstrated his expert yodeling skills. When asked to describe his sound Wells fired back with, “That’s like asking someone to dance about a painting. Basically I try to do something with soul and vulnerability.”

A great feature of the festival was the fact that most musicians stayed afterwards to interact with fans. Matthew “Panduh” Gayomali, a second-year undeclared major, thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

“I feel all warm and fuzzy inside after hugging him [Wells]. Seriously it was great,” Gaymondi said.

The final, much anticipated act of the evening was Anthony Green of Circa Survive, whose throat shredding vocal range and charisma captivated hardcore fans, many of who were not resident students and had traveled just to see him.

The former front man of Saosin played many requests from the crowd including “Beautiful Things” and “Devil’s Song,” on the condition that everyone “sings loud like assholes.” Green signed as many autographs as he could, before being whisked away.

Some groups, such as Sword @ UCI used their booths to showcase their club. Others used the fair as an opportunity to raise awareness. One such organization was the Huntington’s Disease Association of America, which was chosen as the charity of choice by the Irvine Police Department. The chairperson of the group, Chrystelle Zimmerman, whose husband has the degenerative neurological disease, has confidence that by continuing to raise money at events like this and its upcoming bowling night, an end to the disease is near.

Overall, Wayzgoose achieved its main purpose of showing incoming freshman that even a “quiet” college campus like UCI could still let loose and have fun, while at the same time exposing the newcomers to the many opportunities on campus.

Austin Williams, an accepted high school senior, lost no time going to the bookstore to buy an official UCI sweatshirt after enjoying the festivities of Wayzgoose, excitedly stating, “I couldn’t have enjoyed it more! I’ll be seeing you next year.”