Trend, Economy & Culture at the Vendor Fair

Cathereen Lim

Cathereen Lim
Exotic designs appeared to be the theme of the week as Indian silks, shawls and trinkets adorned the displays along the Ring Mall during the spring vendor fair.

Every quarter, for a week our school becomes a bazaar on Ring Road with the most popular wears for affordable, student-friendly prices. In preparation for the coming Mother’s Day and summer, this quarter’s vendor fair showed off the “ins” of fashion, the reality of the economy and the diversity of our campus.

Checkered flannels, scarves and inexpensive sunglasses were “in,” but the usual expanse of jewelry selection from previous quarters was “out.” Perhaps the time to accessorize with jewelry for minute details has run its course and now it’s all about the accessories that will complete an outfit or make it expressive.

Large accessories such as bags, purses, scarves and sunglasses were being bought over rings, necklaces, earrings and even shoes. Oversized accessories are the new trend because they are an easy way to make our existing outfits in our closet look completely different without burning our bank account.

A few booths tried to market the coming of Mother’s Day to sell their products, but the most successful booths this quarter had unbeatable prices for otherwise known pricy and popular items on the market. Perhaps the reality of the economy hit our Anteaters too.

It definitely hit me. A large booth in near Gateway Commons got my attention with the various selections of Sinful, Affliction, Obey and Urban Outfitters shirts for less than $10. These shirts that I usually search out and buy at the mall normally cost me over $35. So at a fraction of its retail price, it was a true bargain and a great way to stock up on a few eccentric shirts for summer.

Besides the reality of the economy, the diverse cultural background of our campus was also very noticeable this quarter. Scarves and shawls were the most diverse items sold this quarter.

Bright scarves with beads and sparkling finishes inspired by Indian culture were being sold next to booths selling scarves closely resembling Christian Audigier’s pop culture. Almost every single clothing booth had some collection of scarves to sell, but the most surprising find was that they were all inspired by colors and arts of different cultures.

Japanese anime, Korean drama, Indian scarves, Hawaiian jewelry, Chinese Jade pendants and a ticket booth for Chinese traditional dance performances are just a few examples of how this quarter’s fair directly mirrored the different colors of the Anteaters. Because of these representatives, this quarter’s fair finished successfully.