Faces of Change

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
21. Erika Amefi (right), and her brother celebrated with family and photographs after the Commencement ceremony. She was also one of the 18 students who met Michelle Obama before the Commencement ceremony.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
19. David Cheng, a 19-year-old freshman from Hong Kong, scripted, animated, and directed the “We Believe” video sent to Michelle Obama.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
18. David Do, a member of the Pre Law Society at UC Merced, said that he and his fellow students screamed when they heard Michelle Obama would come to their campus.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
17. Jessica Julian worked on creating, addressing, and mailing the Valentine’s Day cards sent to Mrs. Obama.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
16. Cybill Navarro happily discusses her experience meeting Michelle Obama.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
15. Megan Machado, Cybill Navarro, and David Do are three of the 18 students who were able to meet Michelle.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
14. The crowd showed their enjoyment of the ceremony and disdain for the heat. Off in the distance, medical personnel move to assist attendees.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
13. Michelle Obama is all smiles on stage.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
12. Michelle spoke about the importance of higher education and the inspirational students of UC Merced.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
11. Michelle Obama begins her speech on the Commencement stage.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
10. Several guests showed their support for Michelle Obama and 2009 Graduates by making signs for the occasion.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
9. This guest thought ahead and brought a hat.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
8. Many other guests used Commencement programs and sunglasses to shield themselves from the 110 degree heat.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
7. An event attendee gets creative making a sunhat from a paper bag.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
6. Secret Service Officer, “Mark,” escorts the media to their appropriate places.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
5. Trained snipers are on the lookout for trouble from every campus rooftop.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
4. UC Merced Student, Thomas Rose shows his Bobcat pride by shaking paws with a bronze statue.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
3. A New University reporter waits away from the sun, in the breezeway of a campus building.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
2. A mariachi band entertained guests in the reception area prior to the event.

Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed
1. Sunset on the UC Merced Commencement green, the day before Michelle Obama arrives on campus and the 2009 class graduates.