Sociology of Sexuality: Let’s talk about sex, baby

When I saw my friend Stephan’s status on Facebook, I thought it was too good to be true. “LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,” he wrote, “UC Irvine has brought back … SOCIOLOGY OF SEXUALITY.”

And yes, kids, it’s back.

When I asked Kassia Wosick-Correa, the professor who taught Sociology 69 in fall 2007, how she got them to number it “69,” she swore up and down that it’s by coincidence. Curiously enough, the other classes that are Sociology 69 are also regarding sexual topics. Someone out there thinks that they are very clever.

But whoever decided to bring this class back is the smartest of all. After taking a two-year hiatus, Sociology of Sexuality is now available for you lovely Anteaters Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3 p.m. to 3:50 p.m. in room Social Science Lecture Hall 100.

I will not lie. When I took this class, the experience was amazing. It strives to make you aware of your preconceived notions of the norm, as any sociology class does, but it focuses on something most college students talk about all the time, just outside of class: sex. Yeah, I said it. Sex.

With that said, you should take this class. If it’s anything like fall 2007 and the previous years, never before have you had so much fun doing the reading. Show of hands: How many classes do you actually want to do the reading for? I would put off my reading for this class not because I was polishing my procrastinating skills, but because I wanted to save the best for last. Word of caution: just don’t do any of the reading around any of your guy friends. With titles such as “Doing It: Real People Having Really Good Sex,” they will try to steal your book.

I suppose I’ll just get this out of the way; there really was an optional day when we watched a full 40 minutes of uncensored, really graphic pornography. There was also a day when a panel of porn stars came in; fall 2007’s panel featured porn star and director Dana DeArmond, her boyfriend Daniel and porn stars Justin Long and JonJon. And yes, there was a day when someone from a sex shop came in, showed us how all the vibrators worked, and pretty much threw some keychain samples into the crowd.

But the entire purpose of this class is to promote “sex positivity,” or being able to view other people’s sexualities, no matter what they might be, without cynicism and without hostility. The two assigned memos really helped to assess your personal view on sexuality, from where it stems from in your religious, home and school life in the past to how you would come out to your family. In writing my pseudo “coming out” letter, I realized how hard it really is to tell your parents something they might not want to hear, and that this is what some people have to think about on a daily basis. With this class, you will learn that what we now see as normal can sometimes be harsh and unforgiving, and that we can stand to be more tolerant of different lifestyles.

So as someone going into her last year of college, I highly recommend you to expand your horizons. If this class bears any resemblance to 2007’s course, it will be one of the most worthwhile experiences you’ll sit through at UCI.