Mika: “The Boy Who Knew Too Much”

<strong>PHOTO COURTESY OF CASABLANCA RECORDS</strong><br>Mika’s new album “The Boy Who Knew Too Much” is a return to form, filled with catchy tunes highlighting his vocal skills and showmanship.

PHOTO COURTESY OF CASABLANCA RECORDSMika’s new album “The Boy Who Knew Too Much” is a return to form, filled with catchy tunes highlighting his vocal skills and showmanship.

The vivacious spirit of Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter, Mika, is alive and well as the musical artist’s sophomore album debuted Sept. 22 to eager fans. Loyal followers of the pop artist anxiously awaited the highly touted follow-up to 2007’s “Life in Cartoon Motion.” The new album, aptly titled “The Boy Who Knew Too Much,” is sure to please as it holds true to the animated and effervescent style of Mika while introducing a whole new range of jazz and rock inspired ballads.

Mika, who writes all of his own songs in London then records everything in Los Angeles with producer Greg Wells, seems to have been given much more creative freedom after the success of his debut album. A true sense of playfulness lives within the tracks of this record.

What Mika accomplishes in “The Boy Who Knew Too Much” is a hopeful beacon for teens and the young at heart. Lyrics like, “Teenage dreams in a teenage circus / running around like a clown on purpose,” and a music video that depicts Mika as a carefree youth, set the tone for the sentimental album.

“We Are Golden,” the album’s first single, acts as a shining platform for the average teenager and is also a testament to Mika’s own growth as a musician. For instance, he utilizes the vocal backings of an entire gospel choir to reach a level of rock-and-roll glam similar to that of rock legend Freddie Mercury.

This would not be the first time Mika has been compared to the departed Queen front-runner, but the high praise in the form of comparisons do not end there.

The campy theatrics of “Toy Boy” recall Elton John’s dramatics and piano play. This song is an interesting addition to the album that showcases Mika’s flare for performance and comedy. The song echoes Mika’s call to the young with talk of toys and a slight reference to Pinocchio, but this world collides with the adult world as it examines the ins and outs of boy-girl relationships.

Mika gives another strong musical showing in the form of the album’s second single, “Blame It On the Girls.” Its catchy beats and comical lyrics make the song a surefire pleaser for the pop music audiophile. Listeners do not need to look further for the perfect driving song or regular iPod repeat.

Another popular song, “Rain,” plays into Mika’s indulgent whims and affinity for disco beats while providing the perfect background for his wide range of low and high-pitched notes. “Rain” serves as a good example of Mika’s dewey-eyed optimism — it promises that after the rain there is always a rainbow. Therein lies a philosophy which his ridiculously diverse collection continues to prove.

“Dr. John” and “One Foot Boy” also join the ranks of Mika’s endless list of captivating and vibrant pop songs. It’s no wonder why the multifaceted musician has become such a success. With his silly style and impeccable pop melodies, Mika has been able to carve his own unique little niche in the music industry.

It doesn’t look like Mika will be slowing down any time soon with his North American tour kicking off Oct. 12th this year, and his UK and Euro tours will continue in 2010. It’s no question that Mika will be dancing across stages this fall, but he will also be dancing into the hearts of fans for a long time to come.