NEWS IN BRIEF

Darwin’s Birthday Inspires New Space for Discussion

Anticipated to be one of the campuses visited by the Christian ministry group, Living Waters, in their quest to spread creationism propaganda,

UC Irvine has been targeted primarily because it has a well-known reputation in the field of sciences. Living Waters intends to hand out copies of Darwin’s “Origin of Species” with a 50-page insert disputing the scientific argument for evolution. This propaganda distribution is expected to take place the week before Thanksgiving.

In other Darwinian news but on the other end of the spectrum, UC Irvine’s libraries will be revealing their fall exhibit, “So Simple a Beginning: 150 Years of Darwin” on Thursday, Oct 22, 2009. They invite the public to participate in the opening reception at 5:30 p.m. at Langson Library; recommending those interested to make reservations. The exhibit celebrates both the 150th anniversary of Charles Darwin’s work, “Origin of Species,” and the bicentenary of his birth. Francisco Ayala, professor of ecology and evolutionary biology, will be speaking at the event.

Panhellenic Event to Stop Drinking and Driving

On October 12, 2009, an “All Greek Lead-In” will be hosted in Arroyo Vista from 7-9:30 p.m.

The event has been organized by Catherine Cappiello and Jimmy Kearny, the Vice Presidents of Risk Management for Panhellenic and IFC, respectively.

The event is intended to bring awareness to the effects of drinking and driving. Both Cappiello and Kearny have been working closely with the UCIPD in preparation for this event.

Cappiello explains their motivation behind creating this event.

“I want to create a program that would emotionally impact our Greek community, something new and engaging. I hope this will be the start to a new program we can continue to improve for years to come,” said Cappiello.

During the event, the UCIPD will be removing four to five sorority and fraternity members from their Monday night chapter meetings. The UCIPD will then read an obituary regarding those individuals’ “fake drinking and driving accidents” to be followed by a “memorial service.”

The “All Greek Lead-In” serves as a “lead in” for the All Greek Conference to be held on November 16th.