Sports in Brief: Week in Review

Women’s Volleyball

The UC Irvine Women’s volleyball continued its strong season with a great outing against Cal State Northridge. The lady Anteaters defeated the Matadors at the Matadome three sets to one. The Anteaters came in ranked 23rd in the nation. The win improved UCI’s record to 14-3 overall and 4-1 in the Big West Conference.

The Anteaters won the first two sets 25-22 before the Matadors got off the ground and took the third set 15-25. UCI finished them off in the fourth set 25-23 and took the game. The loss dropped the Matadors to 4-12 and 0-3 in the Big West.

Senior Taryn Robertson had a season high four aces, passed out 41 assists and had nine digs. Junior Kari Pestolesi added a double-double with 15 kills and 17 digs. Redshirt sophomore Alexandra Hauser contributed five block assists and put away seven kills.

Men’s Soccer

The UC Irvine men’s soccer team had a very exciting first game of the week when they defeated No. 24 New Mexico 2-1 in overtime on Wednesday night, in non-conference play at the UNM Soccer Complex. The game was scoreless for most of the match, but the Anteaters took the lead when senior Irving Garcia one timed a ball that hit the net in the 82nd minute. The late game scoring continued as the Lobos tied the match when Simon Ejdemyr headed in a throw by Justin Davis in the 86th minute. Garcia capped the game for the Anteaters as he dribbled around a defender following an assist from junior Jorge Reyes before scoring in the 96th minute.

UCI had an easier time on Saturday afternoon against Cal State Northridge. The Anteaters blanked the Matadors at Matador Soccer Field by a 3-0 score. The win improved UCI’s record to 8-4 and marked their first win in Big West play.

Garcia continued his hot play when he took a pass from senior Carlos Aguilar and scored from eight yards out in the 10th minute for the first goal of the game. Spencer Thompson then scored 70 minutes after at the 82th minute. Thompson would add a second goal with an assist from Garcia at the 88th minute. The Anteaters will play on Wednesday at home against UC Riverside.

Women’s Soccer

The lady Anteater’s Soccer team was defeated by a score of 2-1 by the UC Davis Aggies at Aggie Field on Friday afternoon. The loss dropped the Anteaters record to 8-5-1 and 1-2 in Big West play. The Aggies struck first and mounted a 2-0 lead well into the second half. Junior Tanya Taylor collected a loose ball in the box and scored to half the lead at 2-1 at the 80 minute mark. However, the Anteaters were not able to score another goal and time ran out on the game.

The Anteaters got back to ther winning ways with a 1-0 defeat of Pacific on Sunday in Stockton. Freshman Mar Rodriguez fed Kate Berini for a goal in the 28th minute of the game. The ‘Eaters will take on Cal State Fullerton next.

Cross Country

The UCI women’s cross country team finished second in the UCSD Triton Classic on the UC San Diego campus on Saturday. UCI came in second to Central Arizona who accumulated 58 points to Irvine’s 68. UCI redshirt freshman Melissa Mead placed fifth of 122 runners in the 6,000 meter course.

Compiled by Andrew Melkonian