190

Cross Country

The cross country season is heading towards the finish line for UC Irvine. On October 31, the men’s cross country team finished sixth and the women’s squad eighth in the Big West Conference Championships at UC Riverside. Cal Poly won the men’s title with 28 points and UC Santa Barbara won the women’s championship with 50 points. The UCI men’s team scored 143 points and the women scored 204 points.

UCI’s top men’s finish belonged to sophomore Sam Hyams, who placed 24th with a time of 23:36:8 on the 8,000-meter course. Rex Nelson finished 28th and Brett Matejka and Austin Williams finished 32nd and 33rd respectively.

Red-shirt freshman, Melissa Mead, led the UCI women by placing 28th. The next best women’s time belonged to Shelby Pock, who finished 39th.

Men’s Water Polo

The men’s water polo team was tripped up this last weekend when they fell to UC Berkeley on Halloween. The Anteaters lost 13-10 in Berkeley against the number two ranked Bears. The loss dropped the ‘Eaters record to 13-7 and left their Mountain Pacific Sports Federation league record at 1-2.

Cal ran their record to 15-4 and 3-1 in the MPSF. The Bears went on a 5-0 run to close out the first half up 8-3. They led UCI 10-5 after three periods. The Anteaters made a valiant effort to come back in the fourth by outscoring Cal 5-3, but ran out of time.

Griffin Lerman and Brandon Johnson led UCI in scoring with two goals each. Goalie Matt Johnson had seven saves. UCI will travel to USC for the MPSF Tournament on November 27, 28 and 29.

Women’s volleyball

It seems that all UCI sports teams had a trick played on them this weekend. The women’s volleyball team dropped consecutive games to UC Davis and University of the Pacific on Friday and Saturday.

Junior Kari Pestolesi led all players with 22 kills, but the lady Anteaters suffered a 3-1 loss to the Aggies in Davis at the Upper Hickey Gym. The loss was even worse because it meant that the Anteaters suffered their first loss ever (11-1) against UC Davis. With the win, Davis claimed sole possession of first place in the Big West Conference.

The 23rd ranked Anteaters suffered another 3-1 loss to the Tigers in Stockton the next day. Even though freshman Kristin Winkler managed a career-high 30 digs, the second consecutive loss dropped UCI’s record to 17-6 and 7-4 in the Big West Conference. It was the first time all year that the Anteaters dropped two straight games. They will look to right the ship against Seattle University at Crawford Court on Tuesday, in a non-conference match.

Compiled by Andrew Melkonian.