Juicy Campus and Online Gossip: Is It True That Everyone is Pregs?

339
339

“BIGGEST HOES IN UCI GREEK.”
“Which fraternity has the best-looking guys?”
“Best sorority girl?”
“Top Frat!”
“Everyone is pregnant.”

Admit it, with catchy titles like those we can’t help but read over what there is to be said about the Greek system. Posts like these are all over the ever popular ex-Juicy Campus, www.collegeacb.com Web site.

The other week I touched up on the significance of Greek symbols and what they mean to the people within the Greek organization. But if they claim to have so much pride and respect for the system, why is it that the majority of what we hear about them on campus is negative? We’ve all heard about the drinking issues, distasteful partying, run-ins with the law and the lack of class from girls in sororities, but where exactly do all these statements come from? I mean, there must be a certain amount of truth behind these stories, right?

The issue, on campuses around the nation is a little thing called collegeabc. What exactly is this site that everyone seems to be so fond of?

Created in 2007, Juicy Campus was a site focused on the gossip, rumors and social businesses of college universities. The site allowed students to anonymously post tabs about gossip they found to be the most “juicy” or worthy of attention. Although the site was open to the whole campus, the topics with the most visits and comments on the site were focused on the fraternities and sororities, both Greek and multi-cultural.

The site and collegeacb claim to be enablers of “online anonymous free speech,” but how far is free speech allowed to go? These sites hurt not only the reputations of campus organizations but the individual students who are blasted without any formal warning.

The effect these sites have on the Greek community is a hurtful one, making organizations that pride themselves on sisterhood and brotherhood appear to be nothing more than groups of people who like to party and get drunk. However, not everyone supports the site or the negativity that comes from it.

Joann Liao, third-year Business Economics major and vice president of Panhellenic of the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority stated, “I personally don’t go on the site. I’ve never felt the need to. I just think it’s wasted energy to think about what other people are saying anonymously about anything. And why ask for unnecessary drama?”

Third-year English major and Alpha Chi Omega student explained collegeacb as a source of entertainment. She reads it when she’s bored, because it’s funny to read. “I don’t think any of the information portrays Greek life for how it actually is and I personally don’t support what they say, but I guess people like me who go on it somehow do contribute to it. But that’s not my intention at all. I mean, I don’t contribute to the topics and never write any comments, but it’s just kind of funny to read,” she said.

Participants may not have harmful intentions, but the effect of students continuously checking the sites hurts the reputation and credibility of the Greek community.

The Vice President of social standards for Delta Gamma and fourth-year psychology and social behavior major, Heather Harden, said she personally does not go on the Web site, collegeacb.

“I think that the Web site amplifies the stigmas and negative stereotypes of Greek organizations. As vice president of social standards of my chapter, I highly discourage even going on the Web site to my chapter. Since the words are more hurtful than helping to anyone, it is better to ignore its existence than to support it,” Harden said.

Pi Beta Phi sister, Panhellenic Assistant Recruitment and fourth-year biology and sociology major, Elysia Chin, regarded the site as “unimportant” and went on to say, “It undermines all the positives aspects of Greek life. All it does is promote the negative stereotypes and by going on that site, I would be promoting the negativity, which is the last thing I would want to do.”

Despite the efforts of many who boycott the site and discourage its use, the site is still alive and running for the UCI campus. True or false, the site’s topics still get hundreds of views daily and new threads being posted all the time. What does this say about the Greek system? Is it even Greeks who are posting these topics or just cynical anti-Greek smart-asses? Well, whoever they are, they’re just feeding the negative stereotypes so many try to break and go against.

Greek or unaffiliated, I personally think some people just need to grow up and learn to deal with their issues and prejudices against organizations and specific persons differently. Because honestly, how many people would still be posting on this site if it wasn’t anonymous? Staying away or avoiding posts on sites like this is something everyone should practice to respect not only themselves, but also the people who make up their school. If anyone asks you where you heard it, tell them you heard it on the Greek Vine.